Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
I have a picture of Alfio Spadaro taken about 1921-1927 in Catania, Sicily. He is in what I assume is an Italian Army uniform. hat badge on Kepi is crossed rifles with #54 in center. No chevrens can be seen on sleave but it looks like two pips on shoulder and a star on tunic coller. I'm guessing he was an officer in 54th Infantry Regiment/ He sent this picture and another one of him in a suit and tie to his Arlotta cousins in America. I would like to know what unit he belonged to and if he were an officer and maybe the history of the unit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
Hi Wujek8880; I think you'll find some info if you google"the Italian Army of World War I". That will take you to the book by David Nicole. Save some time by going to pg. 18 and reading down. I stopped at 21. I think you'll have some luck since you have the picture to compare it to. A lot of interesting stuff. By the way, I was born in Syracuse,N.Y. and lived there for 39 years. I had a freind named Arlotta.
Best of luck to you,
Best of luck to you,
senior
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
Senior,
Thanks for the help. I do all the genealogy for my Arlotta cousins and was able to give one of them enough info that he found his 95 year old aunt when he went to Sicily a couple years ago. Who did you know named Arlotta?? I might get hooked on this Italian military stuff. This is my first venture into Italian military.
Thanks for the help. I do all the genealogy for my Arlotta cousins and was able to give one of them enough info that he found his 95 year old aunt when he went to Sicily a couple years ago. Who did you know named Arlotta?? I might get hooked on this Italian military stuff. This is my first venture into Italian military.
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
Hey Wujek8880; I responded via your personal message. Thought I better tell you. Hope you found the book helpful.
senior
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
Senior,
I didn't receive any other replies from you except the two you posted on this forum. I found the book both on Google Books and at Amazon.com but could only read to page 12 without having an Amazon account which I don't. I usually buy books at Borders or Barnes and Noble or the flea market and have no account with Amazon. I'll stop at Barnes and Noble tomorrow (I'll be in same Mall on another mission) and see if they have it and look through it then. From some other books I have at home; I'm pretty sure Alfio was wearing the rank of a 1/Lt and that number on his hat badge was a company number and not a regiment or battalion number.
I didn't receive any other replies from you except the two you posted on this forum. I found the book both on Google Books and at Amazon.com but could only read to page 12 without having an Amazon account which I don't. I usually buy books at Borders or Barnes and Noble or the flea market and have no account with Amazon. I'll stop at Barnes and Noble tomorrow (I'll be in same Mall on another mission) and see if they have it and look through it then. From some other books I have at home; I'm pretty sure Alfio was wearing the rank of a 1/Lt and that number on his hat badge was a company number and not a regiment or battalion number.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
If you post the pick I can try to some expert who will look at it.Wujek8880 wrote:I have a picture of Alfio Spadaro taken about 1921-1927 in Catania, Sicily. He is in what I assume is an Italian Army uniform. hat badge on Kepi is crossed rifles with #54 in center. ...
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
Hi PeterTimber; I responded to Wujek8880 via pm so he would come back to the original question. I don't know how to access or request Italian Army info, so I'm pretty sure he'll pose the question.
thanks,
thanks,
senior
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
I tried to post pix of Alfio Spadaro in uniform but must have done it wrong because I don't see the pix or my message. Gues I'll try again.
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
I believe it is a Lieutenant (2 stars on the strap)
I have posted your pic in the TuttoGenealogia.it forum. It is an Italian forum where I hope to get confirmation.
I have posted your pic in the TuttoGenealogia.it forum. It is an Italian forum where I hope to get confirmation.
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
Livio,
Thanks for the help. I couldn't find any pictures on internet showing Italian Army rank insignia but have a book showing Marines of the world and the Spanish military wears similar rank insignia and the two pips/stars are a 1/Lt (First Lieutenant) in their military.
Thanks for the help. I couldn't find any pictures on internet showing Italian Army rank insignia but have a book showing Marines of the world and the Spanish military wears similar rank insignia and the two pips/stars are a 1/Lt (First Lieutenant) in their military.
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
Tenente Colonnello (Lieutenant Colonel) in the 54th Infantry regiment "UMBRIA".
Decorations shown above the pocket:
- Cavaliere dell'Ordine della Corona d'Italia (Knight of the Italian Crown)
- WWI 1915-1918
- War Cross
The 24th Infantry regiment UMBRIA was created Apr 16 1861 and disbanded Sep 8 1943. Their motto was "In impetu victoria". The regiment was awarded with 1 Military gold medal, 2 silver and 1 bronze.
Lieutenant Colonel is the rank before Colonel. The officer degrees (ranks) in the Italian army are (from the lowest to the highest):
Sottotenente
Tenente
Capitano
Maggiore
Tenente Colonnello
Colonnello
Generale di brigata
Generale di divisione
Generale di corpo d'armata
Decorations shown above the pocket:
- Cavaliere dell'Ordine della Corona d'Italia (Knight of the Italian Crown)
- WWI 1915-1918
- War Cross
The 24th Infantry regiment UMBRIA was created Apr 16 1861 and disbanded Sep 8 1943. Their motto was "In impetu victoria". The regiment was awarded with 1 Military gold medal, 2 silver and 1 bronze.
Lieutenant Colonel is the rank before Colonel. The officer degrees (ranks) in the Italian army are (from the lowest to the highest):
Sottotenente
Tenente
Capitano
Maggiore
Tenente Colonnello
Colonnello
Generale di brigata
Generale di divisione
Generale di corpo d'armata
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
wujek88880; I was able to find a descriptive piece in The Italian Army of WWI by Osprey publishing,David Nicolle. Take a look at pages 18 and 19.
good luck,
good luck,
senior
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
Re: Italian Army 54th Infantry-1921
Livio & Senior,
I tried sending you two guys a thankyou last night but don't see it on here. So I'll say it again. Thanks for all your help.
I tried sending you two guys a thankyou last night but don't see it on here. So I'll say it again. Thanks for all your help.

