Just got back from the Illinois Regional Archives at NEIU in Chicago. I'd never searched through their probate records before so thought I'd give it a try. First I looked through the alphabetical index, and lo and behold found a relative of which I have scant information. So of course I'm getting excited. The index contains a name, docket number, page number, and file number. So I give this info to the IRAD clerk and she brings me back a box for 1917-1918 with 50 microfilms in it!!! She doesn't know how the films are organized. Ok, so at least the films are sequential. Lets start with the first one and see what we've got.
What we've got is probate records in cursive in chronological order. (God bless the court clerk who hand wrote all those decisions) Thousands and thousands of probate records by date. And all I've got is a docket, page, and file number. There appears to be no organization related to any of the three numbers I have. In fact, I looked at a random record (which happened to be on page 65) and it had a docket, page and file number listed next to the case name which had absolutely no correspondence to any case before or after it or the page that it was on.
So then I thought, well I know when he died, so obviously his probate record is after that. Well, after three hours of going through faded cursive records one at a time, I decided that I had reached my limit for the day.
So here's my question, is there a secret, easy way to find my record with only the docket, page, and file number??? I probably need to talk to some one intimately familiar with early 20th century Chicago probate records. I'm headin down to the city of Chicago archives downtown tomorrow to try and find somebody.
Thanks for reading my rant.
Adam
Question about searching through probate records in Chicago
Re: Question about searching through probate records in Chic
11th floor Daley center, they are nice people and helpful.
Re: Question about searching through probate records in Chic
sounds like you should plan on spending the day there....
Re: Question about searching through probate records in Chic
Sorry..I have never experienced researching this way and frankly..I'm tired just reading your post!
I would take corrado's advice and plan to spend the day there (I have heard many people have had to do this).
Good luck and if you learn anything useful please do come back and share!
I would take corrado's advice and plan to spend the day there (I have heard many people have had to do this).
Good luck and if you learn anything useful please do come back and share!



