Hi, I'm wanting to get my GGM's birth certificate. I know her birthdate and place of birth, but I don't know her parent's names. Also, I'm not 100% on the spelling of her name. My GF says it's Mary Immaculata Maleck, someone else in the family who has done some genealogy says it was Maleca. Is that a surname in Calabria?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Maleca / Maleck from Siderno
Re: Maleca / Maleck from Siderno
Hi Jpatsy
It seems Maleca is not a Calabrian lastname, try this helpful site to check:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
Didi you found her arrival manifest in the U.S.?
Laura
It seems Maleca is not a Calabrian lastname, try this helpful site to check:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
Didi you found her arrival manifest in the U.S.?
Laura
Re: Maleca / Maleck from Siderno
That's a great link, thanks. But you're right, there is no Maleca in Calabria. Hmmm.
I did end up getting some info from a relative this morning. Her mom was Rose Fragomeni and her dad was Francesco Maleca. This relative is saying my GGM's name was Immacalata Maleca. Her date of birth was 30 Aug 1903. This same relative said they have actually tried to get her birth certificate from the commune before with no success.
I wonder if I should wait for some of the U.S. documents (death/marriage certs/SS-5) to verify some of this info before trying to write the commune.
Thanks for the help.
I did end up getting some info from a relative this morning. Her mom was Rose Fragomeni and her dad was Francesco Maleca. This relative is saying my GGM's name was Immacalata Maleca. Her date of birth was 30 Aug 1903. This same relative said they have actually tried to get her birth certificate from the commune before with no success.
I wonder if I should wait for some of the U.S. documents (death/marriage certs/SS-5) to verify some of this info before trying to write the commune.
Thanks for the help.
Re: Maleca / Maleck from Siderno
Oh, Laura, I did look for the manifest, but I did not find it. Apparently, she came over with her mother and 3 siblings after her father died.
Re: Maleca / Maleck from Siderno
From Ellisisland.org here is a 1912 arrival manifest ... names are crossed out, it means they didn't travel that time... There must be another arrival manifest after that date:
Maria Meleca travelling with her daughters Immacolata, Caterina, Carmela:from Siderno - Reggio Calabria, leaving in Italy her father Antonio and joining her husband Candida Paolo (possible second husband?) in Carbondale PA
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016
Laura
Maria Meleca travelling with her daughters Immacolata, Caterina, Carmela:from Siderno - Reggio Calabria, leaving in Italy her father Antonio and joining her husband Candida Paolo (possible second husband?) in Carbondale PA
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016
Laura
Re: Maleca / Maleck from Siderno
Another interesting arrival:
1921 arrival for Fragomeni Maria Teresa (widow), from Siderno - Reggio Calabria, travelling with her child: Meleca Maria, Meleca Carlo and Meleca Maria Immacolata, joining her father Fragomeni Carlo in W.VA, leaving in Italy her sister Francesca
page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0005
page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0005
However I believe Meleca is the correct spelling...
1921 arrival for Fragomeni Maria Teresa (widow), from Siderno - Reggio Calabria, travelling with her child: Meleca Maria, Meleca Carlo and Meleca Maria Immacolata, joining her father Fragomeni Carlo in W.VA, leaving in Italy her sister Francesca
page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0005
page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0005
However I believe Meleca is the correct spelling...
Re: Maleca / Maleck from Siderno
You are awesome! THANKS!!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to help out. 
Re: Maleca / Maleck from Siderno - CORRECTION MELECA
So, it looks like the spelling was Meleca.
I am thinking of sending a request to Siderno tomorrow. I wonder if I should be concerned that according to the ship manifest she was born around 1905, while the Social Security Death Index says she was born 30 Aug 1903?
I am thinking of sending a request to Siderno tomorrow. I wonder if I should be concerned that according to the ship manifest she was born around 1905, while the Social Security Death Index says she was born 30 Aug 1903?
Re: Maleca / Maleck from Siderno
I'd specify she was born between 1903 and 1905 but possible on the date of August 30, 1903 .... remember to write also her parents's names so they can find the document easier...
Here you can find some form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
If the document is for citizenship pourpose you have to ask the "Estratto dell'atto di nascita in modello plurilingue"
Ciao,
Laura
Here you can find some form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
If the document is for citizenship pourpose you have to ask the "Estratto dell'atto di nascita in modello plurilingue"
Ciao,
Laura

