I need help with translating (into English) the attached marriage record from Alcamo for Carmelo Trapani, age 27 to ? Martive-?, age 25 in November ?, 1880.
I believe he is a brother to my great-grandfather. So, if parents, etc. are listed I would appreciate knowing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV8YTci
Translation For Alcamo Marriage Record
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: Translation For Alcamo Marriage Record
This record is very dark so I will have to guess some of it:
1880, November ?, 30
1. Carmelo Trapani, single, age 27 , (profession?), born in Alcamo, resident in Alcamo, son to the late Carmelo and to the late Paola Vizzi ?.
2. Fausta Martina ?, single, age 25, ..?..trice, born in Alcamo, resident in Alcamo. unknown parents.
The two witnesses are: Ignazio Iemma ?, age 43 and Angelo Rocca age 42(?).
From what I can understand at the bottom it's written that while getting married they were also legitimizing their two daughters: the first born on June 17, 1874 called Paola Trapani and the second born on July 25, 1880 and called Anna Trapani.
Hope this will help.
Ada
1880, November ?, 30
1. Carmelo Trapani, single, age 27 , (profession?), born in Alcamo, resident in Alcamo, son to the late Carmelo and to the late Paola Vizzi ?.
2. Fausta Martina ?, single, age 25, ..?..trice, born in Alcamo, resident in Alcamo. unknown parents.
The two witnesses are: Ignazio Iemma ?, age 43 and Angelo Rocca age 42(?).
From what I can understand at the bottom it's written that while getting married they were also legitimizing their two daughters: the first born on June 17, 1874 called Paola Trapani and the second born on July 25, 1880 and called Anna Trapani.
Hope this will help.
Ada
Re: Translation For Alcamo Marriage Record
Thanks for your help. I did try to lighten the copy but unfortunately that's the best I could do. That's new information about the two daughters. It sounds like they were the parents, right? (Just had them before they were married. I'm surprised at that. Didn't think things like that happened then.)
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: Translation For Alcamo Marriage Record
Usually at that time people were getting married only with a religious cerimony as they feared more the Priest than the Mayor. So they were probably married but only for the Church. When they were realizing that things had to be legalized than they would marry at the City Hall.
Ada
Ada
Re: Translation For Alcamo Marriage Record
Ada - Thanks for the information. That makes it difficult to find the church record of marriage. I'll have to look prior to 1874 when the first daughter was born. That would make his wife 19 years old at the daughter's birth. Guess that's not too far fetched.
- Joannsalvo
- Elite

- Posts: 304
- Joined: 10 Feb 2008, 15:31
- Location: NJ
Re: Translation For Alcamo Marriage Record
Hi,
Could the name be Fausta Martire?
Thanks,
Joann
Could the name be Fausta Martire?
Thanks,
Joann
