I am trying to find the brother of my great grandfather, who lived at 38-40 Union St. in Brooklyn , NY in the early part of the 1900's. I cannot find him in the 1910, or 1920 Census. (Vincenzo Paolella) This is the address my great-grandfather, and several other relatives came to when they first immigrated in 1906. Can anyone tell me in what district this address would have been listed during these years??
Thanks,
Marie
1910/1920 Census for Brooklyn, NY
Re: 1910/1920 Census for Brooklyn, NY
I think 38-40 Union St. was an agent address which many immigrants used as a contact address when arriving in the U.S. I think it was a bank but I'm not sure. I know there was a bank on that street when I was a kid back in the 30's-40's. Just a caution for you to perhaps not restrict your search to this address.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: 1910/1920 Census for Brooklyn, NY
Try the NY State Census in one step. Go to www.stevemorse.org/nyc/nyc.php for 1905/15/25 state census. =Peter=
~Peter~
- MarieVolbeda
- Newbie

- Posts: 24
- Joined: 01 Aug 2009, 04:41
Re: 1910/1920 Census for Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for your suggestions Peter and eyetalgal, I will follow up on that.
I am not familiar with the "agent" address. Why was it used? Did the sponsor meet their newly arrived relative/friend there? Is there a website I can access to follow up.?
Marie
I am not familiar with the "agent" address. Why was it used? Did the sponsor meet their newly arrived relative/friend there? Is there a website I can access to follow up.?
Marie
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
