Looking for GENTILE,THERESA

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
User avatar
trevisan2
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 00:00
Location: Utah, Mareno di Piave (TV)
Contact:

Re: Looking for GENTILE,THERESA

Post by trevisan2 »

Connie,
Just to help you understand how the place names are organized in Italy, they gAiello del Sabatooe from the smallest to the largest. Often starting with a group of parts of the Comune, then the comune (town) and Provience.

The birth place would for your ancestor:

Aiello del Sabato, Avellino, Italy

The region is a separate issue, but not part of the place name that goes on the birth certificate.
Its more of a zone . . . like the "Western United States" per say, if your from the state of California. In the USA you would write Brea, Los Angeles, California, USA.

Its taken me years to understand how to corectly write the Italian Place names. Now that there are a few central web sites like www.nonsolocap.it and www.gogle.com, www.tuttitalia.it the place name issue has become clear.
Before the web sites, I was using phone books and just trying to figure it out myself. It all led to years of confusion and many, many mistakes on the place name issue.

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
User avatar
connielpet
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 15:38

Re: Looking for GENTILE,THERESA

Post by connielpet »

Trevisan2
Thank you for continued education and direction on regions, provinces, comunes. I'm sure this is such elementary information but I need to
start at the bottom and completely understand before I can work my way forward. I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.
Connie
User avatar
trevisan2
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 00:00
Location: Utah, Mareno di Piave (TV)
Contact:

Re: Looking for GENTILE,THERESA

Post by trevisan2 »

Greetings:

Here is a great training video on doing Italian Research or your Surname.

https://fch.ldschurch.org/WWSupport/Cou ... layer.html

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
User avatar
connielpet
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 15:38

Re: Looking for GENTILE,THERESA

Post by connielpet »

Trevisan2
Thanks for the Italian video on Italy records history and searching Italian records. There is so much information here. Thank you to the Council of Trent!!

I believe I could search for the marriage band records for my great - grandparents: PIEMONTE, Maria Anna and Antonio Felice GENTILE [birth approx. 1870] since I have great-grandmother information , Maria Anna PIEMONTE, and names of both her parents, their birth dates approx. 1850.
Their daughter, Theresa GENTILE was born in Italy May 1900. 'AIELLO DEL SABATO' – Commune; Province of Avellino.

How would I begin to search those records?
Thanks so much for your advise and direction.
connie
Post Reply