G-Grandfather Pagano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vj
Master
Master

Re: G-Grandfather Pagano

Post by vj »

Hi Biff :D !

Pagano Family

another possible record, no birth location
same address and occupation as 1910 census

from ancestry. com (subscription site)
1918 WWI Draft Registration Card

Andrew Pagano (signed 'Andrea')
486 West 136th St Apt 15 Manhattan NY NY
Born: May (middle of month) 1875
Born in Italy - here 22 years (abt 1896) - no papers (not a naturalized citizen)
Wife Cora Pagano at same address
Description: Has moustache
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Based on Valarie's 1910 census find, here's an interesting 1906 manifest:

1906 ship manifest for Teresa DeMarchis line 12 travelling with sister Aryanina? on line 11
Year of birth: about 1892
Last residence: Castelletto Merli (Guazzolo is a hamlet of this comune)
Destination: New York to join sister Alessandro Pagan* at 220 East 76th St
*sister Mrs. Alessandro Pagano????

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

RJ,

Additional information for your records.

1930 census for the Pagano and Ragone families

Possible enlistment record for Anthony Ragone which includes his army serial number

End of war 1945 ship manifest for the same Anthony Ragone as the above enlistment record line 23
Name: Anthony G Ragone
Arrival Date: 29 Jun 1945
Ship Name: Queen Elizabeth
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Rank--Tech 3 with the 122d General Hospital (as an aside, my Dad's brother also served in the 122d and was on the same ship)
MOS (Military Occupation Specialty) 409 (Medical Technician)

Kington Camp in England, home of the 107th and 122nd General Hospitals

Biff
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Biff!
Great census & military records!
(quite a coincidence)
Neat site on Kington in the 1940's.
Valarie
RJRagone

Post by RJRagone »

Biff, Valerie
Thank you again. I have found some different written materials that belonged to my grandfather, that were like the newspaper/magazine for the 122nd. I found one that listed my grandfather gaining his citizenship. Wonder if there would be information about your Uncle as well. Would you like to share your Uncles name? It's amazing how small the world really is!

The information above seems like it's heading in the right direction. In the 1930 census, which I didn't have, the son, Angelo Ragone, was my dad, who was born Nov. 10, 1929, Anthony Paul Ragone.

RJ
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

RJRagone wrote:Wonder if there would be information about your Uncle as well. Would you like to share your Uncles name? It's amazing how small the world really is!
RJ
RJ,

My uncle was Joseph A. Bifano (8 Jun 1924-1 May 2001).

Pic of him in uniform

1945 manifest line 4
Final rank--Tech 5
MOS 861--Surgical Technician

Biff
RJRagone

Post by RJRagone »

Thanks Biff! I'll look thru the newsletters to see if he is in any of them. I am going to try and get the military records for my grandfather and dad. My dad died a couple of years ago, before he died, he tried to get my grandfather's military records, but for some reason was unable to.

RJ,
I'm surprised they couldn't find his application.
Did you include his SS# with your request?
Valarie

Valarie, I did include his SS# and used the form from the Internet, mailed it in, with the fee. All I got back was a xeroxed copy of his name and SS#. After finally getting someone on the phone, they told me the records were not in their system. So, maybe the military records will give me more.

Thanks again for all the help!!

RJ
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

RJRagone wrote:Thanks Biff! I'll look thru the newsletters to see if he is in any of them. I am going to try and get the military records for my grandfather and dad. My dad died a couple of years ago, before he died, he tried to get my grandfather's military records, but for some reason was unable to.RJ
Unfortunately, about 80% of the personnel records stored in St. Louis were destroyed in a fire in 1973. But I'd would still write to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis and ask for a "Compiled Record of Service including medical records." See link below.
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

And thanks for checking if there's any info on my uncle in the newsletters.

Biff
RJRagone

Post by RJRagone »

Biff, I was able to find the newsletters this weekend, however I'm sorry to say that I was mistaken, they weren't for Kington Camp, they were for Camp Maxey in Texas. The newsletters covered April until August of 1943. I'm guessing that your uncle wasn't there or he just wasn't in the newsletters, I looked thru all of them. If I run across anything for Kington Camp and your uncle, I will make sure to get it to you.

Thanks again for all your help!!

RJ
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

RJ,

Thanks for checking. If you have any questions relative to you military record search, let me know.

Best,
Biff
RJRagone

Post by RJRagone »

Biff, Valarie

I've sent off a request for my dad's military records to the NPRC in St. Louis. I also want to get the records for my grandfather "Ragone", however, I'm not sure about this request as I'm not technically his "next of kin" and all of his next of kin are deceased. I will try calling NPRC tomorrow to see what my options are. I know my grandfather was from the Genoa/Savona area and that his dad built docks for a living. I also have the names of some of his siblings.

Some of the things that I still haven't been able to find are my g-grandfathers death records and where he came from in Italy. I now have access to ancestry.com but have been unable to find out this information. Maybe too much confusion on his name... Agostino, Andrea,
I'm pretty sure, based on documents that I've been able to find, that the below information is accurate. However, this is Ellis Island data and the 1910 census above says that he immigrated in 1892,with 1st papers in PA. I guess that I'm inclined to believe the Ellis Island data. What do you think??

First Name: Agostino
Last Name: Pagano
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Aug 12, 1895
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: U
Ship of Travel: La Normandie
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0300
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

RJ,

As a direct line descendant (grandson), I believe you shouldn't have any issues requesting your grandfather's military records from NPRC.

Just to clarify, on the census the "PA" indicates "filed first papers (declaration of intention to naturalize)" not the state where he filed. He likely filed in New York.

Have you requested his marriage certificate from New York? It may have his parents' names and birth place.

From Valarie's post:

Name Marriage Date Certificate Number County

Pagano Andrea Oct 15 1905 24085 (1905) Manhattan
Demarchis Anna Oct 15 1905 24085 (1905) Manhattan

Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives

Death records are usually filed in the county where a person passes. So if he died in one of the five boros of New York, you could also order his death certificate from the above if you know the date of death. However, I'm not sure if the death certificate will contain details on his parents' names and birthplace since it appears no one in the family knew that information.

Biff
dmichals

Post by dmichals »

Hi...I'm relatively new to this; have had Ancestry World for 2 months. I'm the granddaughter of Theresa Demarchis who did "come over" in 1906 with her sister Araynina, but I never find her again. I have found quite a bit on my grandmother and siblings but not so much on her parents or grandparents. Has anyone found those things in their searches? I'd be happy to share or discuss what I have found.

Thanks so much, D