HiJCM wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 19:07 Angela.... thx for your efforts and finding Onofrio birth record. I too will look for De Mayo since I see that name often in other family trees.....I think you have hit in something there.
Will let u know what I find.
JCM
I looked through several indices yesterday and I didn't see anything like the name Meo/Mayo,di meo/mayo in the town of Montemaggiore Belsito. I doubt Sofia's family were from there. What I would do is set up a new thread specifically for Sofia asking for help locating her birth town. You need to start at your end - the US? giving us as much info you have like passenger lists, census records, naturalisation records, obits, whatever you have. Just make it short and to the point and supply the links you have to the online information.
I did have a quick search on Family Search and noticed that there were discrepancies in information on census records re her place of birth, eg. both New Jersey and Italia were mentioned as birth places. I don't have access to Ancestry.com at home and I'm staying clear of public computers/places at the moment for obvious reasons. There are others here on the forum that do have access to Ancestry, who are brilliant at locating records to help establish the birth town, so hopefully they will be able to help. You can always link this thread to your new thread so that we can see what has already been established.
Best to you with this. I shall keep an eye out.
Angela

