Hi can somebody help... When I have done a search for Fondi italy it comes up as Lazio region, Province of Latina...
but I have also found it listed as part of the province of Caserta and some of my grandfather's records list Fondi, Caserta as his place of birth..
I am confused about the two listings- can anybldoy clarify this for me?
thanks
dee
fondi italy
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: fondi italy
Fondi belonged to the province if Caserta. In 1934 a new province was established, with the name of Littoria. In 1946 Littoria changed the name and became Latina, so now Fondi belongs to the province of Latina.
Re: fondi italy
Re: fondi italy
We have family and friends in Fondi... my husband grew up in Itri, next town over. Fondi is a wonderful town with great shops and a fantastic piazza! We go often to sit, relax, drink espresso, and listen to strolling musicians. Many of the civil records were kept for Fondi in Itri.... they are available on the FHC microfilms. Many were destroyed unfortunately when bombed in WWII and then later the city hall suffered damage in a fire. Many still exist though.
Re: fondi italy
Thanks so much. I had heard that some records were lost due to WWll bombing...I didn't know about the city hall fire...that could be why I am not having any luck with my grandfather's birth records...bonval wrote:We have family and friends in Fondi... my husband grew up in Itri, next town over. Fondi is a wonderful town with great shops and a fantastic piazza! We go often to sit, relax, drink espresso, and listen to strolling musicians. Many of the civil records were kept for Fondi in Itri.... they are available on the FHC microfilms. Many were destroyed unfortunately when bombed in WWII and then later the city hall suffered damage in a fire. Many still exist though.
My father was there in the latre 80's and said he stopped at the police station to try to locate current family members . He said they had an index card listing of all the members of my family (Magnarella) and when they left Fondi for the US. Do you know how I could find out if they still have this index there and how I could get a copy of it?
Re: fondi italy
I am not sure if that system is still in place but would imagine they have the original stuff - although it may not have been updated - that is usually the case! due to family considerations (elderly parents, jobs) we will not be able to travel overseas for another year or two but am so anxious to visit again ourselves. All of the family is still in Italy so it becomes a heart tug for us!
Re: fondi italy
Here is a New Website (in English)
all about the historic town of FONDI, in Latina, Lazio, Italy.
Perhaps you may find it of interest:
FONDI : http://fondi.shapcott-family.com
all about the historic town of FONDI, in Latina, Lazio, Italy.
Perhaps you may find it of interest:
FONDI : http://fondi.shapcott-family.com
I am researching these surnames in Atina, Frosinone:
Leonardi, Del Prete, Rossi, Farina, Salvia, Bracciale, Tortolani, Di Fiore, Pesce, Massa, Capogrossi, Rolfi
Website: http://atina.shapcott-family.com
Leonardi, Del Prete, Rossi, Farina, Salvia, Bracciale, Tortolani, Di Fiore, Pesce, Massa, Capogrossi, Rolfi
Website: http://atina.shapcott-family.com
Re: fondi italy
My grandfather's name was Mariano Paolo Bracciale he was born in Fondi, Italy in 1891. He had 9 siblings, 2 who passed away one at birth and another before age 3 years. I have all their names and birth dates. His parents were Benedetto Bracciale and Emmanuela DeBonis. If this maybe the family related to you , please let me know.

