I recently read a post (response) from BETTE indicating that in Sicily, the bride and groom had to present their birth record in order to get married. Was this the tradition or rule throughout Italy?
Some of you may remember my controversy over my grandmother's marriage when her name changed from Mattora to Martora. I attributed it to illiteracy and wrote my case for believing I had the correct birth record. If this was a hard and fast rule, I feel my argument has just been weakened. I attributed the fact that the annotation of the marriage on my grandfather's birth record was not present on my grandmother's birth record was due to the fact that it couldn't be found because of the spelling (in the town of Santa Maria).
While I still believe I have the correct birth record for grandmother, it does create another hurdle for me. Since the Italians were sticklers for surname accuracy, is it possible my case was an anomaly? Maybe the registration official was not as diligent as he should have been?
As you can see, I am trying to keep an open mind on this subject and I may never find the answer.
Some help on this tradition or rule, please.
Thank you,
Jim
birth registrations for marriage?
Re: birth registrations for marriage?
WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: birth registrations for marriage?
It's a guy (gal?) who thinks you might be interested in buying stolen credit card data for the purposes of committing credit card fraud.oilman19 wrote:WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?
Shouldn't someone be calling the FBI?
Re: birth registrations for marriage?
Sorry.....this particular spammer is persistent!!
I've removed all postings.
wldspirit
Lee
I've removed all postings.
wldspirit
Lee
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: birth registrations for marriage?
Thank you. It really took me by surprise. All postings had been very professional and responsive up to this point. I guess it is tough to keep the bad apples away from such a good site.
I appreciate your help.
Jim
I appreciate your help.
Jim
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Re: birth registrations for marriage?
This one has kept all the moderators on their toes.....
We check each and every thread daily, however, if for any reason we miss something along the way, please feel free to contact one of us and we'll take care of it Asap!
Again, sorry for the intrusion.....back to work as he just signed up under a new name....
Lee
We check each and every thread daily, however, if for any reason we miss something along the way, please feel free to contact one of us and we'll take care of it Asap!
Again, sorry for the intrusion.....back to work as he just signed up under a new name....
Lee
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: birth registrations for marriage?
Hi Jim,
First, my research has been in Sicily and Calabria, Italy and my response is based on my experience.
Couples had to get a marriage bann to be married. This notice was published every week for 3 weeks. Found in microfilm as Pubblicazioni.
When they applied for their bann, many documents were required. Birth records of the couple, previous marriage records if applicable and often the birth or death records of their parents/father as permission for the marriage. These records are called Allegati di matrimoni in the microfilm titles.
I have found where these still exist, they have been far from complete. For a given year only a small portion of the marriages will be represented with records in the Allegati di matrimoni. I don't know why this is.
If the change in your grandmothers surname occured in Italy it will be a challange.
Debbie
First, my research has been in Sicily and Calabria, Italy and my response is based on my experience.
Couples had to get a marriage bann to be married. This notice was published every week for 3 weeks. Found in microfilm as Pubblicazioni.
When they applied for their bann, many documents were required. Birth records of the couple, previous marriage records if applicable and often the birth or death records of their parents/father as permission for the marriage. These records are called Allegati di matrimoni in the microfilm titles.
I have found where these still exist, they have been far from complete. For a given year only a small portion of the marriages will be represented with records in the Allegati di matrimoni. I don't know why this is.
If the change in your grandmothers surname occured in Italy it will be a challange.
Debbie
- Cavecreekmommy
- Newbie

- Posts: 19
- Joined: 13 Nov 2009, 20:11
Re: birth registrations for marriage?
Just out of curiosity, why was there a marriage bann?
VaDeb wrote:Hi Jim,
First, my research has been in Sicily and Calabria, Italy and my response is based on my experience.
Couples had to get a marriage bann to be married. This notice was published every week for 3 weeks. Found in microfilm as Pubblicazioni.
When they applied for their bann, many documents were required. Birth records of the couple, previous marriage records if applicable and often the birth or death records of their parents/father as permission for the marriage. These records are called Allegati di matrimoni in the microfilm titles.
I have found where these still exist, they have been far from complete. For a given year only a small portion of the marriages will be represented with records in the Allegati di matrimoni. I don't know why this is.
If the change in your grandmothers surname occured in Italy it will be a challange.
Debbie
Re: birth registrations for marriage?
You can read in detail the section from Trafford R. Cole's book, "Italian Genealogical Records, How to use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical & Other Records in Family History Research" at the following:
LINK
wldspirit
LINK
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

