San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
- ferranti61
- Newbie

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 01:32
- Location: New England
San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
First post to the forum.
Have an old census stating that my GGrandfather came from San Tegita. I am sure the spelling is incorrect but what variants can anyone suggest? He would have emigrated from the Bologna area back in the early 1880's.
Thank you - J.Ferranti
Have an old census stating that my GGrandfather came from San Tegita. I am sure the spelling is incorrect but what variants can anyone suggest? He would have emigrated from the Bologna area back in the early 1880's.
Thank you - J.Ferranti
Re: San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
hi and welcome to the forum.
There is a Sant' Egidio in the comune of Cesena in Emilia Romagna.
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/040/007/index.html
There is a Sant' Egidio in the comune of Cesena in Emilia Romagna.
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/040/007/index.html
Re: San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
Just another possibilty. There is a town called Sant'Agata Bolognese in the province of Bologna. Perhaps it's a long shot, but I thought I'd mention it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant'Agata_Bolognese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant'Agata_Bolognese
My Italian surnames:
Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone
Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile
Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone
Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile
Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Re: San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
Phonetically it sounds like "Santa Citta" but probably Sant'Egidio as above.
T.
T.
- ferranti61
- Newbie

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 01:32
- Location: New England
Re: San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
I believe that Sant'Agata is the most likely location near Bologna and will start there in search of GGrandparents birthplace. From what I understand each town manages their own records, usually the church?
Am I on the right track?
J
Just starting the search !
Grandfather: Ferranti
Carasetti (sp?)
Grandmother: Sassi (Sassine sp?)
Bussolari (sp?)
Serra (sp?)
Bologna emigration 1862 - ship Victoria?
Grandfather: Ferranti
Carasetti (sp?)
Grandmother: Sassi (Sassine sp?)
Bussolari (sp?)
Serra (sp?)
Bologna emigration 1862 - ship Victoria?
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
I agree. If you simply adjust the pronunciation of the first t, you get San Tagata which is pretty darned close to San Tegita.ferranti61 wrote:Thank you !
I believe that Sant'Agata is the most likely location near Bologna and will start there in search of GGrandparents birthplace. From what I understand each town manages their own records, usually the church?
Am I on the right track?
J
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
The Ferranti surmane does exist today in Sant' Agata Bolognese. In fact, it is one of the 5 most common names in town. Also the names Sassoli and Sassatelli exist there. The name Sasso and Sassi are also common in the area.
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/037/056/index.html
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/037/056/index.html
Re: San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
Yes, each town has its own records located at the Stato Civile (City hall).
You can write to the town to request the records. Best to do this in Italian. Here is a great link to resources about this process and form letters in Italian.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... ello2.html
The address is in the link for Sant'Agata provided by misbris
above.
T.
You can write to the town to request the records. Best to do this in Italian. Here is a great link to resources about this process and form letters in Italian.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... ello2.html
The address is in the link for Sant'Agata provided by misbris
T.
- ferranti61
- Newbie

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 01:32
- Location: New England
This is great!
This search is going to be a treasure to my Dad, myself, and my boys. They can pass on the info after that. 
Just starting the search !
Grandfather: Ferranti
Carasetti (sp?)
Grandmother: Sassi (Sassine sp?)
Bussolari (sp?)
Serra (sp?)
Bologna emigration 1862 - ship Victoria?
Grandfather: Ferranti
Carasetti (sp?)
Grandmother: Sassi (Sassine sp?)
Bussolari (sp?)
Serra (sp?)
Bologna emigration 1862 - ship Victoria?
Re: San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
I am not sure I understand. Are Carasetti, Bussolare and Serra also last names? Who are they?
- ferranti61
- Newbie

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 01:32
- Location: New England
Other last names
Sassi (Sassine) and Bussolare on my Grandmothers side, Ferranti and Carasetti on my Grandfathers side. Unsure of spellings.
Just starting the search !
Grandfather: Ferranti
Carasetti (sp?)
Grandmother: Sassi (Sassine sp?)
Bussolari (sp?)
Serra (sp?)
Bologna emigration 1862 - ship Victoria?
Grandfather: Ferranti
Carasetti (sp?)
Grandmother: Sassi (Sassine sp?)
Bussolari (sp?)
Serra (sp?)
Bologna emigration 1862 - ship Victoria?
Re: San Tegita? Phonetic spelling of ????
These names appear in Sant' Agata:
Bussolari
Serra
Carassiti
Bussolari
Serra
Carassiti