An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
Hi Everyone...
The LDS Family History Library came through for me again, this time with the Atto di Nascita for my great grandfather's younger brother Calcedonio. I can make out enough to confirm that their parents Giacomo Luca and Rosalia Salerno have moved yet again, this time to Mezzomorreale; and Giacomo is still a servant. But there's a lot of vital information I cannot make out. For example, immediately after the "uffiziale della Stato Civile" is named, there are the words "e compars[a?] Rosalia Salerno ?????? ???????". I can't read those last two words...and that information is confusing because Rosalia is the mother and it lists her "domiciliata" as "via ?????". But then, farther down, Rosalia's name appears again, and this time her domiciliata looks like simply Mezzomorreale. And then, when Giacomo is identified, his domiciliato looks like "via ???? ???? ??????".
I'm trying to find out who Giacomo worked for, and learning all his places of residence might help me match them up to residences or offices of a noble, aristocratic or even royal family. So I'm really interested in everyone's names, their "domiciliat[?]", and their occupations. I'm also particularly curious about the "nella casa de ??????? della ??????" information at the bottom of the left side of the first page...it looks like it might be a name of an actual house or building.
Finally, I would also like the name of the church where he was baptized. It looks to me like "S. Nicolo ?? ?????", which looks like the church where his oldest sister was baptized...except that his sister's Chiesa S. Nicolo was in Albergaria, not Mezzomorreale. (Maybe they are the same and he went the extra miles to Albergaria).
Can you wizards out there have a crack at this Atto?
Molto Grazie!
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6017 ... e1core.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8114 ... ft.jpg.jpg
An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
Re: An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
The first Rosalia Salerno is age 50 must be her mother presenting the baby second Rosalia Salerno having the baby is age 27 Giacomo age 34
Church is San Nicolo di Bari
nella casa means in the house cant read the last word
Marty
Church is San Nicolo di Bari
nella casa means in the house cant read the last word
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
Thanks Marty.
I doublechecked on Google and sure enough, San Nicolo di Beri is in Albergaria and it appers to be the same church where Antonina (the eldest child) was baptized.
But this older Rosalia Salerno is a surprise because young Rosalia's mother was Giuseppa Vento. I wonder who Rosalia could be? Maybe the sister of her father, Calcedonio?
Come to think of it, young Rosalia was living on Via Toledo when she married Giacomo and the elder Rosalia's "domiciliata" now looks like Via Toledo to me; I couldn't make it out before, but now it looks familiar!
Hey Marty...can you make out Giacomo's "domiciliato"? (I'm sorry about the quality of the images...it's the best I could do with the film viewer).
I doublechecked on Google and sure enough, San Nicolo di Beri is in Albergaria and it appers to be the same church where Antonina (the eldest child) was baptized.
But this older Rosalia Salerno is a surprise because young Rosalia's mother was Giuseppa Vento. I wonder who Rosalia could be? Maybe the sister of her father, Calcedonio?
Come to think of it, young Rosalia was living on Via Toledo when she married Giacomo and the elder Rosalia's "domiciliata" now looks like Via Toledo to me; I couldn't make it out before, but now it looks familiar!
Hey Marty...can you make out Giacomo's "domiciliato"? (I'm sorry about the quality of the images...it's the best I could do with the film viewer).
Re: An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
It says CON SUA MOGLIE DOMICILIATO which means living with wife I can't see the word in front its cut off on the copy
Marty
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
The second image you posted is not working...
Maybe there is a clue to the "two Rosalias" there
T.
Maybe there is a clue to the "two Rosalias" there
T.
Re: An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
Hi Marty, hi Tessa...
Hmmm...both links worked for me when I first uploaded them...but not now! So I've uploaded both pages of the Atto again. The first link is for page 1 of the Atto, with just the text. Link 2 is for just the left half of page 2; again, just the text.
I still can't make out the two handwritten words after the name Rosalia Salerno (the elder Rosalia who presented the child). Do those words identify her in any way?
Also, on page 1, the third line from the bottom, left side, it says "nella casa" ["in the house"] followed by what appear to be four handwritten words. To me those four words look like "de ?????????? della ??????". I would dearly love to know what those words are because it looks to me as if they might identify a specific house or address.
As for page 2, I think it identifies the witnesses. I can't figure out their names or professions but it sure might help to know.
Thanks you guys...this really means a lot to me.
Tom
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6017/cal ... e1core.jpg
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/8114 ... e2left.jpg
Hmmm...both links worked for me when I first uploaded them...but not now! So I've uploaded both pages of the Atto again. The first link is for page 1 of the Atto, with just the text. Link 2 is for just the left half of page 2; again, just the text.
I still can't make out the two handwritten words after the name Rosalia Salerno (the elder Rosalia who presented the child). Do those words identify her in any way?
Also, on page 1, the third line from the bottom, left side, it says "nella casa" ["in the house"] followed by what appear to be four handwritten words. To me those four words look like "de ?????????? della ??????". I would dearly love to know what those words are because it looks to me as if they might identify a specific house or address.
As for page 2, I think it identifies the witnesses. I can't figure out their names or professions but it sure might help to know.
Thanks you guys...this really means a lot to me.
Tom
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6017/cal ... e1core.jpg
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/8114 ... e2left.jpg
Re: An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
The words are "inhabited by the spouses" and not an addresstbehler wrote:Hi Marty, hi Tessa...
Hmmm...both links worked for me when I first uploaded them...but not now! So I've uploaded both pages of the Atto again. The first link is for page 1 of the Atto, with just the text. Link 2 is for just the left half of page 2; again, just the text.
I still can't make out the two handwritten words after the name Rosalia Salerno (the elder Rosalia who presented the child). Do those words identify her in any way?
Also, on page 1, the third line from the bottom, left side, it says "nella casa" ["in the house"] followed by what appear to be four handwritten words. To me those four words look like "de ?????????? della ??????". I would dearly love to know what those words are because it looks to me as if they might identify a specific house or address.
As for page 2, I think it identifies the witnesses. I can't figure out their names or professions but it sure might help to know.
Thanks you guys...this really means a lot to me.
Tom
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6017/cal ... e1core.jpg
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/8114 ... e2left.jpg
T.
Re: An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
The words after the first Rosalia Salerno's name look like they say "assistente al parto" which would mean that she assisted at the labor.
The witnesses look like Girolamo Fundaro, 28 (can't read his occupation)
and GiovanBattista Sacco, 61, (can't read his occupation either)
BTW - the mother of the child is 37 not 27
It looks more like "trentasette" than "ventisette" to me...
First Rosalia is 50. Thinking they are cousins of some degree...
T.
The witnesses look like Girolamo Fundaro, 28 (can't read his occupation)
and GiovanBattista Sacco, 61, (can't read his occupation either)
BTW - the mother of the child is 37 not 27
It looks more like "trentasette" than "ventisette" to me...
First Rosalia is 50. Thinking they are cousins of some degree...
T.
Re: An Atto di Nascita from Palermo
Wow Tessa, Marty...
Your translations make perfect sense, thanks so much.
I think you're right about the elder Rosalia. She's probably either a cousin or the younger Rosalia's aunt. Eventually I hope to get records for Calcedonio's and Giuseppa Vento's siblings and parents. But I doubt if the LDS Family History Library will have them...that's probably too far back and I'll probably need church records for that.
Maybe I'll let my sister's children work on that one!
With all this wonderful help from you two and everyone else on the forum...I'm getting ever more confident that I'm going to eventually find out who Giacomo worked for.
...(I wonder if anyone will care about who I worked for, 170 years from now!) ;-]
Ciao...
Tom
Your translations make perfect sense, thanks so much.
I think you're right about the elder Rosalia. She's probably either a cousin or the younger Rosalia's aunt. Eventually I hope to get records for Calcedonio's and Giuseppa Vento's siblings and parents. But I doubt if the LDS Family History Library will have them...that's probably too far back and I'll probably need church records for that.
Maybe I'll let my sister's children work on that one!
With all this wonderful help from you two and everyone else on the forum...I'm getting ever more confident that I'm going to eventually find out who Giacomo worked for.
...(I wonder if anyone will care about who I worked for, 170 years from now!) ;-]
Ciao...
Tom

