Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minchella
Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minchella
I am trying to locate the birthplace of my grandfather, Francisco Antonio Minchella (born 1893). He came over to England in 1911 and lodged in Dover, Kent, until he was called back to Italy to serve in the First World War 1915-1918. I have been told that he probably came from San Biagio Saracinisco, Frosinone. Is there any way I can l check that this information is correct please? He had a brother Luigi who also came to England. He married Giovanni Coia in about 1924 and had three children, Philip (my father), Antonio and Maria. He died in a motorbike accident in England in 1928.
I would appreciate any help anyone can give. Thank you.
Susan Howard
I would appreciate any help anyone can give. Thank you.
Susan Howard
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Have you seen this listing from the England and Wales, 1911 Census?
Name: Luigi Minchella
Event: Census
Event Date: 1911
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Birthplace: Italy
Record Type: Household
Registration District: Holborn
Sub-district: Clerkenwell
Parish: St James And St John Clerkenwell
County: London
And these from the 1911 and 1901 census (are you sure Francesco did not arrive in UK until 1911?)
Name: Francesco Minchella
Event: Census
Event Date: 1911
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Birthplace: Italion Born Italy
Record Type: Household
Registration District: Oxford
Sub-district: Oxford
Parish: St Thomas
County: Oxfordshire
Name: Francis Minchella
Event: Census
Event Date: 31 Mar 1901
Gender: Male
Age: 7
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Birthplace: Italy Italian Subject
Record Type: Household
Registration District: Liverpool
Sub-district: Islington
Ecclesiastical Parish: Christ Church
Civil Parish: Liverpool
County: Lancashire
T.
Name: Luigi Minchella
Event: Census
Event Date: 1911
Gender: Male
Age: 37
Birthplace: Italy
Record Type: Household
Registration District: Holborn
Sub-district: Clerkenwell
Parish: St James And St John Clerkenwell
County: London
And these from the 1911 and 1901 census (are you sure Francesco did not arrive in UK until 1911?)
Name: Francesco Minchella
Event: Census
Event Date: 1911
Gender: Male
Age: 23
Birthplace: Italion Born Italy
Record Type: Household
Registration District: Oxford
Sub-district: Oxford
Parish: St Thomas
County: Oxfordshire
Name: Francis Minchella
Event: Census
Event Date: 31 Mar 1901
Gender: Male
Age: 7
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Birthplace: Italy Italian Subject
Record Type: Household
Registration District: Liverpool
Sub-district: Islington
Ecclesiastical Parish: Christ Church
Civil Parish: Liverpool
County: Lancashire
T.
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
There are currently 2 listings in the Italian Phone Book for MINCHELLA in the comune of San Biagio Saracinisco...
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... nisco&ind=
You may wish to write to one or both of them to inquire of your ancestor.
Format your address line this way:
Surname Firstname
Street, number
Cap Code, Comune, Province Code
Italy
Help with letters in Italian to potential relatives
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives
T.
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... nisco&ind=
You may wish to write to one or both of them to inquire of your ancestor.
Format your address line this way:
Surname Firstname
Street, number
Cap Code, Comune, Province Code
Italy
Help with letters in Italian to potential relatives
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives
T.
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Dear Tessa
Thank you so much for all this information that you have provided. As Francesco lived all his life in first Dover, Kent and then Canterbury, Kent the census listings would not be his. On the 1911 census he was 18 years old and lodging with an Italian family in Dover. However, the white page listings and letter templates are extremely helpful and I will be contacting them as soon as possible. Thanks again for helping me.
Thank you so much for all this information that you have provided. As Francesco lived all his life in first Dover, Kent and then Canterbury, Kent the census listings would not be his. On the 1911 census he was 18 years old and lodging with an Italian family in Dover. However, the white page listings and letter templates are extremely helpful and I will be contacting them as soon as possible. Thanks again for helping me.
- stuartcapaldi
- Rookie

- Posts: 69
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 15:22
- Location: Scotland UK
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Susan
It is likely that he came from the Val di Comino which includes the following registration comune, San Biagio Saracinisco, Picinisco, Villa Latina and Atina.
I have both Minchella and Coia ancestors in my family tree.
However in about 1800 a group of families moved from San Giuseppe Picinisco to Selvone, Filignano. You may wish to also check there.
Check my website www.capaldi-clan.com
Details of family names and communities are listed on the site and where to locate them on the internet.
Stuart
It is likely that he came from the Val di Comino which includes the following registration comune, San Biagio Saracinisco, Picinisco, Villa Latina and Atina.
I have both Minchella and Coia ancestors in my family tree.
However in about 1800 a group of families moved from San Giuseppe Picinisco to Selvone, Filignano. You may wish to also check there.
Check my website www.capaldi-clan.com
Details of family names and communities are listed on the site and where to locate them on the internet.
Stuart
Stuart Capaldi
-
Goffredo Bellocchi
- Newbie

- Posts: 8
- Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 17:53
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Try asking here
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2 ... opic=14412
dealing with the genealogy of San Biagio Saracinisco Frosinone
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2 ... opic=14412
dealing with the genealogy of San Biagio Saracinisco Frosinone
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Stuart and Goffredo
Many thanks to both of you for these very helpful and informative replies. I really appreciate all the information I am getting on this forum. I can't wait to follow up on all these suggestions!
Many thanks to both of you for these very helpful and informative replies. I really appreciate all the information I am getting on this forum. I can't wait to follow up on all these suggestions!
- jamiecapaldi
- Master

- Posts: 691
- Joined: 21 Sep 2009, 18:18
- Location: Bristol, England, UK
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Hello,
As Stuart has mentioned Villa Latina is a popular place, but i also have mostly Minchella ancestors and by marriage from Cassino.
I can say Frosinone is very good/popular province to go by for the Minchella!
Jamie
As Stuart has mentioned Villa Latina is a popular place, but i also have mostly Minchella ancestors and by marriage from Cassino.
I can say Frosinone is very good/popular province to go by for the Minchella!
Jamie
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Jamie - thank you for this. I would be pleased if it was Cassino as my grandmother's family come from Cassino and it would be nice to visit knowing both sides of the Italian family came from the same town!
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
In relation to finding Francesco's birthplace I was wondering whether it would be easy to consult the military records in the Frosinone archives - has anyone consulted these records before? Would it be easy for someone who speaks no Italian?
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
I believe they are arranged by birthplace so there are a lot to go through if you don't know this. Also he may not have done military service since he was already in England when he was 18. The State Archives in Frosinone did not keep the conscription lists as did other Archivio di Stato.
If you know the name of his father I will take a quick look in Picinisco next time I go there. Coia is from there as is Minchella.
If you know the name of his father I will take a quick look in Picinisco next time I go there. Coia is from there as is Minchella.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Dear Italysearcher
Thank you for your kind offer to check the Picinisco records, that would be very helpful. Francesco's father's name was Antonio.
Francesco did return to Italy to serve during the First World War as I have seen his war medal, although I was surprised about this.
Someone told me that the records are also indexed by surname so I hope this would make the search easier. I found a previous post by SuanJ as follows:
In Archivio di Stato di Frosinone are Liste di leva for men born from 1875 to 1930, please see:
Distretto militare di frosinone 1875-1930 Regg.330 + bb. 341(fogli matr.) +liste di leva (1923-1930) regg. 388 http://www.cassino2000.com/cdsc/studi/a ... 04p04.html
regards, suanj
so I do hope that Frosinone would still have the conscription lists.
Thanks again for your help.
Susan
Thank you for your kind offer to check the Picinisco records, that would be very helpful. Francesco's father's name was Antonio.
Francesco did return to Italy to serve during the First World War as I have seen his war medal, although I was surprised about this.
Someone told me that the records are also indexed by surname so I hope this would make the search easier. I found a previous post by SuanJ as follows:
In Archivio di Stato di Frosinone are Liste di leva for men born from 1875 to 1930, please see:
Distretto militare di frosinone 1875-1930 Regg.330 + bb. 341(fogli matr.) +liste di leva (1923-1930) regg. 388 http://www.cassino2000.com/cdsc/studi/a ... 04p04.html
regards, suanj
so I do hope that Frosinone would still have the conscription lists.
Thanks again for your help.
Susan
- jamiecapaldi
- Master

- Posts: 691
- Joined: 21 Sep 2009, 18:18
- Location: Bristol, England, UK
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Hello,
I am not 100% certain, but looking a record of Filignano i have, it does not show a marriage between a Antonio Minchella and another? Upto 1899, so this might rule out Filignano??
Also found a Minchella Family in Yorkshire. Father was Antonio born qround 1870 (guessing Francesco's Father would be born around that time), from Vallegrande, Villa Latina. - pic attached
Jamie
I am not 100% certain, but looking a record of Filignano i have, it does not show a marriage between a Antonio Minchella and another? Upto 1899, so this might rule out Filignano??
Also found a Minchella Family in Yorkshire. Father was Antonio born qround 1870 (guessing Francesco's Father would be born around that time), from Vallegrande, Villa Latina. - pic attached
Jamie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Hello Jamie
Thank you so much for all the help you are giving me - it really helps to rule out Filignano as a possible birthplace. Thanks also for the lovely picture of Antonio and family (look at the huge bonnet on the baby!). Although the dates seem about right, Francesco's father never came over to this country as far as I am aware, but the Cassino families website could be useful as Francesco's mother-in-law Rosa Coia was born in Cassino.
Susan
Thank you so much for all the help you are giving me - it really helps to rule out Filignano as a possible birthplace. Thanks also for the lovely picture of Antonio and family (look at the huge bonnet on the baby!). Although the dates seem about right, Francesco's father never came over to this country as far as I am aware, but the Cassino families website could be useful as Francesco's mother-in-law Rosa Coia was born in Cassino.
Susan
- jamiecapaldi
- Master

- Posts: 691
- Joined: 21 Sep 2009, 18:18
- Location: Bristol, England, UK
Re: Tracing the birthplace of my Italian grandfather - Minch
Hello,
I take it Jane was born 'Giovanna Esia in Blean, Kent, 1901'
Her parents Benedetto Coia and Rosa were in both the 1891 and 1901 census in Kent.
In 1891 a Vettese family were living with them. This could be the maiden name of Rosa, as alot of Families stay with eachother on first immigration. Vettese is very popular in and around Cassino.
I think it might be worth getting the birth certificate of Giovanna Esia (giuvanna) as it will state her mothers maiden name, and can help you progress with her side of the Family.
I have found a Benedetto Coia marriage to a Pasqua Rosa Cascarino on 15th April 1882, Filignano.
His Parents were Filippo Coia and Agostina Vettese.
Her Parents were Carmine Cascarino and Paolina Verrecchia.
PROBLEM is, their ages are showing 60 and 47, which doesn't match their death dates in England!
Anyway, the birth certificate would be a good move!
Jamie Capaldi
I take it Jane was born 'Giovanna Esia in Blean, Kent, 1901'
Her parents Benedetto Coia and Rosa were in both the 1891 and 1901 census in Kent.
In 1891 a Vettese family were living with them. This could be the maiden name of Rosa, as alot of Families stay with eachother on first immigration. Vettese is very popular in and around Cassino.
I think it might be worth getting the birth certificate of Giovanna Esia (giuvanna) as it will state her mothers maiden name, and can help you progress with her side of the Family.
I have found a Benedetto Coia marriage to a Pasqua Rosa Cascarino on 15th April 1882, Filignano.
His Parents were Filippo Coia and Agostina Vettese.
Her Parents were Carmine Cascarino and Paolina Verrecchia.
PROBLEM is, their ages are showing 60 and 47, which doesn't match their death dates in England!
Anyway, the birth certificate would be a good move!
Jamie Capaldi
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk