Seeking translation of Pegno birth record
Seeking translation of Pegno birth record
Hello. I am attempting to translate a birth document for my great-grandmother who lived in Petralia Sottana in Sicily. I recently found out she was adopted and would like to know the circumstances of her birth, specifically who found her and where, and where she was taken (it seems it was someplace in Palermo). I also think she may have been abandoned. Would like to know if there was a note and how she came to have her name. Thank you so much for your help!
Re: Seeking translation of Pegno birth record
Here is what I read...
Dated 18 November 1872 at 2 PM at the town office in Petralia Soltana, before the official appeared Antonia Cannata, receiver of the abandoned, age 64, residing in Petralia, to declare that today at 11 AM was found at the wheel of abandoned babies (ruota dei bambini proietti), a female child who she was presenting - it appears that this child had no signs or notes with/attached to her. She appeared to be about 20 hours of age. She was given (by the official) the name Eluisa Pegno, and released to a wet-nurse, Filippa Bxxxxini(?) for transport to an orphange (Instituto dei Trovatelli) in Palermo
Witnesses to the record were Mariano Sabatino, municipal guard, 43; and Apolonio Solumone(?), another municipal worker, ae 60, both residents.
T.
Dated 18 November 1872 at 2 PM at the town office in Petralia Soltana, before the official appeared Antonia Cannata, receiver of the abandoned, age 64, residing in Petralia, to declare that today at 11 AM was found at the wheel of abandoned babies (ruota dei bambini proietti), a female child who she was presenting - it appears that this child had no signs or notes with/attached to her. She appeared to be about 20 hours of age. She was given (by the official) the name Eluisa Pegno, and released to a wet-nurse, Filippa Bxxxxini(?) for transport to an orphange (Instituto dei Trovatelli) in Palermo
Witnesses to the record were Mariano Sabatino, municipal guard, 43; and Apolonio Solumone(?), another municipal worker, ae 60, both residents.
T.
Re: Seeking translation of Pegno birth record
Hi Tessa! 
I'd say wetnurse's surname was "Bencivenni".
I'd say wetnurse's surname was "Bencivenni".
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Seeking translation of Pegno birth record
Hi Pippo! 
I think you are correct! Bencivinni is found in Petralia Soprana!
T.
I think you are correct! Bencivinni is found in Petralia Soprana!
T.
Re: Seeking translation of Pegno birth record
Hello Tessa. Please forgive me. It's been a long time since I made my request and I just now saw this. As a newbie, I thought I would get an email when I received a response to my request. Thank you so much for the translation. As it turns out, my great-grandmother was claimed by her parents when they married. It seems she was born out of wedlock.
I am back on this website because the State of New York says I need to have a certified translation of my grandparent's birth documents to correct the names on their marriage record. I live in southwest Florida and hope to find someone who can do this at a reasonable cost. I am able to translate the documents myself, but they said they won't accept them unless it is stamped certified. Any recommendations? Thank you again!
I am back on this website because the State of New York says I need to have a certified translation of my grandparent's birth documents to correct the names on their marriage record. I live in southwest Florida and hope to find someone who can do this at a reasonable cost. I am able to translate the documents myself, but they said they won't accept them unless it is stamped certified. Any recommendations? Thank you again!

