Hello,
Is there an archive for the Italian Consulate records for the period 1800 to 1900?
Did the Consulates in different countries forward back their BMD and other records to be archived in Italy? I am interested in Mediterranean countries.
Lina G.
Italian Consulate Records 1800-1920
Re: Italian Consulate Records 1800-1920
A communication should have been sent for BD to the towns of birth/last residence to be transcribed in a separat section of ordinary BD registers. For marriages, I don't know. And that is true at least from 1870 on.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Italian Consulate Records 1800-1920
Hi Pippo,
I didn't quite understand you. Are the records for Italians born/married overseas archived at the Italian consulates in their respective host countries, or were they moved to Italy to be centrally archived? So as you say, these BMD events should have been officially communicated to Italy and documented somewhere. But where? And how to get hold of these records?
I am citing for example that for the UK, you can search online for British citizens born overseas.
I didn't quite understand you. Are the records for Italians born/married overseas archived at the Italian consulates in their respective host countries, or were they moved to Italy to be centrally archived? So as you say, these BMD events should have been officially communicated to Italy and documented somewhere. But where? And how to get hold of these records?
I am citing for example that for the UK, you can search online for British citizens born overseas.
Re: Italian Consulate Records 1800-1920
Sorry if I could not exlain myself...
I mean that, for instance, when a baby was born abroad from Italian parents, they declared the birth at the consulate. The consulate sent a note to their Commune of origin to notify the birth, and the Commune transcribed it in its own registers. Of course, if you are looking for records of such kind, you have to know the town parents were from.
I don't know if consulates had their own archives, and if they were saved somewhere in Italy.
I mean that, for instance, when a baby was born abroad from Italian parents, they declared the birth at the consulate. The consulate sent a note to their Commune of origin to notify the birth, and the Commune transcribed it in its own registers. Of course, if you are looking for records of such kind, you have to know the town parents were from.
I don't know if consulates had their own archives, and if they were saved somewhere in Italy.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

