Advice re. citizenship application

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
woj1990
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 12 Jul 2017, 20:06

Advice re. citizenship application

Post by woj1990 »

Buon giorno, everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice regarding my own citizenship claim etc. and an application I'm preparing - I've been wanting to apply for dual citizenship for a while so have gathering all the documents I believe I need to go through the jure sanguinis route, but would be grateful if anyone could help re. the below:

My grandmother (an Italian citizen) moved over to the United Kingdom just after 1945. She gave birth to my father in 1955, and was still an Italian citizen during that time - I have an old passport of hers issued by the Consulate in London dated and stamped in 1963, so I can only assume she's listed on the records of the Consulate here. She did eventually naturalise as a British citizen through her marriage to my grandfather (a Polish man who took on British citizenship himself) in 1975, but whilst we have no documented proof of this, we in the family are almost certain she never renounced herself as an Italian and remained a dual-citizen until she died in 2006. In either case, my father was born after 1948, and as above, my grandmother was still registered as an Italian at the time of his birth.

As she renewed her passport in 1963, I'm assuming a) she was registered at the Consulate as an Italian living abroad and b) assuming the Consulate would have evidence of any renunciation - sadly so far they've not responded to any of my queries.

As per the Consulate website:

http://www.conslondra.esteri.it/consola ... nzauk.html

I'm trying to establish where our situation would fit in. My father was registered as a British citizen as he was born in London, but whilst he's not registered as an Italian, he's never renounced his claim to citizenship - am I right to believe that he is technically an Italian citizen if not formally recognised as one? And if so, does it mean that the citizenship itself passes on to me and my brother, or would he need to register as an Italian before it passed on?

As far as my own application is concerned, would it make my application easier if my father registered as one first, or would it make little difference?

Again, all help or advice gratefully received!

Mille grazie,

Harry


(Just to say, I tried to post this in a similar form last night but can't see it on the forum anywhere, so guessing it didn't process - if I've double-posted, Mods, please close/remove this!)
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Advice re. citizenship application

Post by mler »

Yes, it appears you have citizenship through your grandmother.

If you have your grandmother's most recent passport, you can use that to provide proof that she was an Italian citizen when your father was born, which means you obtained citizenship through him. You will need to provide all the necessary jure sanguinis documents the consulate requires, and these should be listed on their web site.

It is not necessary for your father to apply, although he can apply with you and your brother if he wishes.

You are unlikely to get too much help from the consulate, because, since Brexit, the London consulate is seeing a large increase in the volume of applications.
woj1990
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 12 Jul 2017, 20:06

Re: Advice re. citizenship application

Post by woj1990 »

That's great, thank you, much appreciated (and point taken re. the consulate's increase in applications - unfortunate but certainly unsurprising).
Post Reply