Help locating records for Livio Albanito

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Elbow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 18:41

Help locating records for Livio Albanito

Post by Elbow »

Hello all :)

I am new here and am struggling to find information on my grandfather, Livio Albanito. Particularly naturalization information. I do know that he came to the US from Italy in 1929 when he was 17. He arrived in New York. The next record I was able to find was 8 years later when he was married in Chicago. He died in Chicago in the 1980s and spent his whole life there once he arrived there, as far as I know.

My father was born in 1946 and is telling me he is not sure but he doesn't think my grandfather was ever naturalized. I have searched on ancestry.com as well as a few other sites and have not been able to find anything pertaining to citizenship/naturalization.

I recently submitted a request for a search to USCIS but am now reading that it takes many many months to even get a response.

Obviously I will need to obtain many expensive and hard to acquire documents if I do qualify for Italian citizenship, however, I do not want to start gathering those documents if by chance my grandfather WAS naturalized before my father was born.

That is why I am turning to you veteran researchers! Does anyone have any resources or databases that can be searched that I am not finding or able to find? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Help locating records for Livio Albanito

Post by adelfio »

Is this his father Giovanni Albanito ?

John Albanito

United States Census, 1930
Name John Albanito
Event Type Census
Event Date 1930
Event Place Kenosha, Kenosha, Wisconsin, United States
Gender Male
Age 40
Marital Status Married
Race White
Race (Original) White
Relationship to Head of Household Boarder
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Boarder
Birth Year (Estimated) 1890
Birthplace Italy
Immigration Year 1912
Father's Birthplace Italy
Mother's Birthplace Italy
Sheet Letter A
Sheet Number 21

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1810731

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Help locating records for Livio Albanito

Post by adelfio »

In the 1940 census line# 5 Livio Albanito it says on the top he is naturalized line 16 says NA on the record

PG LINK TO CENSUS
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2000219

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help locating records for Livio Albanito

Post by Tessa78 »

This is the arrival of Livio Albanito, age 17, in 1929.
On his passenger line you can see a set of numbers indicating he started the naturalization process.

Joining father, Giovanni Albanito in Kenosha, Wisconsin
Leaving mother, Letizia in Lattarico

Line 6 (image)
https://s26.postimg.org/b2bsgwyeh/Albanito_arrival.jpg

Link on Ancestry
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... _4485-0076

EDIT TO ADD***

Here is Livio's Railroad record. Perhaps this is another avenue to investigate to see if they have a record of his citizenship.
Livio Albanito in the U.S., Chicago and North Western Railroad Employment Records, 1935-1970

Name: Livio Albanito
Gender: Male
Race: White
Birth Date: 23 Apr 1918
Birth Place: Italy
Father: John Albanito
Mother: Letieia Fusco
Record Date: 20 Jul 1939
Record Place: Chicago, Illinois
Occupation: Xgang Labr

T.
Post Reply