Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 04:57
Location: Northern United States

Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if someone could check a birth record for me, please. The name is Pasqualina Ciampa, birth date July 26, 1903. She was probably born in Campania or Abruzzo. If her parents' names and birth places are on record, too, would you please include them in your reply.

If anyone can help, I truly appreciate it. THANK YOU so much!!
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by adelfio »

Is this her what was her husbands name? Where did she settle in the USA

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 04:57
Location: Northern United States

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Marty,

Hi. Thanks for responding. Actually, I posted about her before under the name of Charlotte Colella (a surname guess).

This is my great grandmother. Her name upon arrival to the U.S. was Pasqualina Ciampa. (Ciampa was her mother's maiden name.) Later, she used Charlotte Gallucci (her step-father's surname). And as an adult, she married my great grandfather and was known as Charlotte Scungio.

Since nobody could find a birth record of her under Charlotte Colella and her name on the ship manifest was Pasqualina Ciampa (born July 26, 1903), I am trying to find her under that name.

I am also trying to find her mother's (Maria Ciampa born 1866) birth place and her biological father's name and birth place. Since Pasqualina (Charlotte) was born between her mother's first husband (who died in 1900) and her second husband (married 1904), I don't think her mother was married at the time she was born. She was probably born in Campania or Abruzzo.

So confusing! A real challenge! I hope you can help.

THANK YOU!

P.S. Her husband's name was Alfred Scungio and she settled in New Castle, PA. Thank you!
User avatar
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 04:57
Location: Northern United States

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Too complicated? Couldn't find anything? Anyone? No one? Lol. I don't blame you. It makes my head spin, too.
I have access to few records but the ones I do aren't producing any further info.

What I find the most frustrating is my mother was close to her grandmother (Charlotte/Pasqualina), but they never discussed family history. AND my grandmother was close to HER grandmother (Maria Ciampa), but they never discussed family history. The info I need was RIGHT THERE, and neither my mother nor my grandmother asked them anything. Lol.

Oh well . . . It's a mystery. :D
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

I found a Pasqualina Ciampa (seeming Ciampa) travelling with mother Maria and siblings:


Pasqualina Ciampa

Massachusetts, Boston Passenger Lists Index

Name Pasqualina Ciampa
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 1909
Event Place Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States
Age 6
Birth Year (Estimated) 1903
Birth Country Italy
Ship Name Canopic

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2173946

https://s26.postimg.org/8v39s8ebd/pasqu ... ampa_1.jpg
coming from Montefalcione, Avellino province, Campania region... the age matching, and the name aslo, just the mother maiden name: Maria Concetta Iantosca and the father name was Francesco Ciampa... so these data don't matching with the data you know and provided...
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 04:57
Location: Northern United States

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Thank you so much for searching, Suanj. You've helped me many times on this site, and I appreciate it greatly.

My thoughts are that Maria (my gg grandmother) came to the U.S. before her daughter because I have record of Marie's second marriage as December 1904 at St. Vitus Church in New Castle, PA. Maybe she gave birth to Charlotte (Pasqualina) on July 23, 1903, in Italy, left her with family members, and came to the U.S. to marry her second husband. The people Charlotte (Pasqualina) came to the U.S. with later were relatives bringing her over to reunite with her mother. Maybe Maria Concetta Lantosca and Francesco Ciampa were an aunt and uncle posing as parents during the trip over. Just trying to make sense of it all. And there are two different ships listed which makes things stranger.

THANK YOU, Suanj.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

Hi, just a perplexity:
but if on 1920 census Charlotte/Pasqualina was 17 old, and the her first son was 2 old, so born on 1918 abt, Charlotte/Pasqualina married around 1917, and if she was born on 1903, she was just a girl...:

Charlotte Scunsis

United States Census, 1920

Name Charlotte Scunsis
Event Type Census
Event Date 1920
Event Place New Castle Ward 8, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States
Gender Female
Age 17
Marital Status Married
Race White
Race (Original) White
Can Read Yes
Can Write Yes
Relationship to Head of Household Wife
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Wife
Birth Year (Estimated) 1903
Birthplace Italy
Immigration Year 1910
Father's Birthplace Italy
Mother's Birthplace Italy
Sheet Letter B
Sheet Number 3



Household

Role

Sex

Age

Birthplace

Fred Scunsis Head M 20 Pennsylvania
Charlotte Scunsis Wife F 17 Italy
John Scunsis Son M 2 Pennsylvania
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1488411

She married when just 14 old???
Thanks for a reply,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

Making a more deep search, by the Ciampas in New Castle, well I believe that the more probable birthplace of Pasqualina could be Grottaminarda, Avellino, Campania IT... but nothing online abt the civil records so it is impossible to confirm..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 04:57
Location: Northern United States

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Suanj,

THANK YOU for responding and researching. My great grandfather's surname was Scuncio (in the U.S., they spell it Scungio). So the records were off a bit on the spelling. Everything else was correct.

I spoke to my mother earlier, and she said her grandmother (Charlotte/Pasqualina) did marry my great grandfather when she was 14 years old! I didn't know that before you found these records. She got married so young, was a younger mother, and sadly died young. But she was a very smart and beautiful lady. :)

Thank you for the information on her probable birth place. If it's not too much trouble and you have time, could you please check for information on Charlotte/Pasqualina's grandparents. Their names were Servenio Ciampa and Giovannina Scimia, and you mentioned in another post they could have been from Abruzzo. They were probably born before 1850. Only if you have time. I don't want to be any trouble. You've been so helpful to me since I first came to this site.

Thank you, again, so much.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

The surname of Pasqualina grandparents are in Abruzzo also, and in a first time I thinked so..then I thinked that Maria Ciampa if really came alone in USA she joined to someone, probably another Ciampa, because a young woman travelling alone, in foreign country...I believe she joined to some relative, and the Ciampa in New Castle area was of Grottaminarda... So maybe she coming from same area...I searched in Abruzzo and I no found, but the same surnames are also in Campania, so maybe Avellino province could be right also, and the town Grottaminarda or some Commune very close, it could be right...I searched much in Abruzzo and I no found... And in Grottaminarda I cannot search... No. Ivil recordson line... So the mystery remain...
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 04:57
Location: Northern United States

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Suanj,

THANK YOU so very much for your help. The mystery still remains, but you've given me lots of info I didn't know before. I truly appreciate all the time you've taken to check on these things for me. Thank you, again.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

Again me,
if this record is related to Maria Ciampa:

Joseph Champ (Ciampa)

Find A Grave Index
Name Joseph Champ (Ciampa)
Event Type Burial
Event Date 1945
Event Place New Castle, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Photograph Included N
Birth Date 30 Dec 1872
Death Date 30 Aug 1945
Affiliate Record Identifier 164115866
Cemetery Saint Vitus Cemetery

well by Avellino archive of state, the same person:
Codice SIAS IT-ASAV-F4600703
Ufficio Leva, Liste di Leva della classe 1872.Registro numero 2,
atto numero 85 di pagina 235 sezione a
Giuseppe Ciampa, contadino iscritto il 03/06/1892
nato il 27/12/1872 a MONTEMILETTO
da Saverio Ciampa e da Giovanna Rescigno

Giuseppe Ciampa( Joseph Champ) born in Montemiletto on 27 dec 1872, son of Saverio Ciampa( no Servenio.. Servenio don't exist in Italy) and Giovanna Rescigno ( no Scimia)


you think that this person was related in some way to your Maria Ciampa?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

Here the record abt one of two children and mother/wife of Ciriaco Ciampa residing in New Castle, well the last residence was Montemiletto
First Name : Giovanni
Last Name : Ciampa
Nationality : US Citizen
Last Place of Residence : Montemilitto, Avellino, Italy
Date of Arrival : October 11th, 1906
Age at Arrival : 7y
Gender : Male
Marital Status : Single
Ship of Travel : Napolitan Prince
Port of Departure : Naples
Manifest Line Number : 0002


https://libertyellisfoundation.org/show ... cGciOw==/1
a Domenico ciriaco Ciampa was the Brother of the Giuseppe Ciampa( Joseph Champ that I found)..
Domenico Ciriaco Ciampa, contadino iscritto il --/--/----
nato il 02/10/1871 a MONTEMILETTO
da Saverio Ciampa e da Giovanna Rescigno
same parents...
You think that Scimia could be wrong? and maybe was Rescigno....???
Your suggestions?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 04:57
Location: Northern United States

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Suanj,

Thank you! It was such a surprise seeing more info.

I spoke to my mother. She said that she thinks Marie did have a brother named Joe. She also remembers my grandmother mentioning Avellino. But she said my grandmother also said her grandmother's family was from Abruzzo.

The name Giovannina Scimia was listed as Maria Ciampa's mother's name on her marriage license. Severino Ciampa (first name was probably Saverio but spelled wrong in the record) was listed as her father. Marie's date of birth was listed as 1866.

I'm wondering if Saverio was first married to Giovannina Scimia and Giovanna Rescigno was a second wife. Similar first names on the ladies though so it could have possibly been one person using two surnames (Scimia and Rescigno) for whatever reason. Maybe she was married before and one name was a maiden name and the other a married name.

Is that possible? This seems to be getting more mysterious. :?: :?:

Please let me know what you think, Suanj. And THANK YOU, again. I appreciate your help SO very much.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

Hi,
I believe that some data in the story is wrong... the Maria maiden name: Ciampa... by marriage record.. then Champ... the mother maiden name Scimia... the records are indicized and no one of parents name came up and linkable with Maria...I made again a deep search in L'Aquila province as a well in Pescara province... and no helpful records... on a search, it is necessary to work at least on a solid basis, and in this research the solid base is only the marriage certificate.
We must believe what she herself, Mary, said when she was married. Of her arrival, we don't know nothing and we cannot find ... abt her daughter, little Pasqualina, ditto and surely don't came on 1905 or so, because her name is no on 1910 census.. so Pasqualina( if really this first name was her italian first name or just the second given name) arrived later, on 1910 after the census, or later, and she married very soon, so we don't have any record showing her right first name and age.. the 1903 is the birthyear stated, but maybe she was born before, who know.. because if Maria was born around 1866, well she was 37 old on 1903, and I believe no possible she was a single mother, because if she was a single mother maybe had some other child before of Pasqualina... or it could be possible that she was a widow, no a unmarried woman..
Therefore, in a search like this, where we have only a fairly certain document, that is, the marriage certificate, we must also look for alternative ways and alternative suggestions, because when an arrival, a birth despite research and efforts is not found, following all search's ways, then you must also think that some data is wrong..
I hope to find, but seeming a bit hard...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply