Cocchia From Cesinali, Avellino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Jamie110
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:40

Cocchia From Cesinali, Avellino

Post by Jamie110 »

Hello,
I'm trying to track anything about my great grandfather's family from Cesinali, Avellino. I recently found his birth record and know he was born 7 October 1893 to Nicola Cocchia Di Antonio (assuming he was Antonio's son) and Maria Montibello. Nicola was approximately 36 when Giovanni was born, so I think he was born in 1856. Giovanni had an older brother named Antonio (surprise, surprise). Both brothers came to the US and settled in the Norwalk, CT area.

From what I can see, it seams all Cocchia's can track their ancestor back to Cesinali and occasionally nearby towns. Most Cocchia's I find in the US seam to have settled or have ancestors that settled in CT and NY. Growing up in the Westport/Norwalk area, my mom/Aunt knew lots of "other' Cocchia's, but we didn't really know them. Through DNA and some research I was able to track a bunch to Antonio (Giovanni's brother), but it appears there are more Cocchia's who's ancestors are from Cesinali, but I could not track a common ancestor as I do not know who Nicola's parents or siblings were. Given what I found, is it safe to assume these people are probably distant cousins?

Lastly, when using google translate on some Italian pages researching Cesinali, I came across "Cesinali, Home of the Great Cocchia Family". My family was quite poor when the immigrated to the US. Could this be the same family? Could my family have been servants of the Cocchia's or the actual Cocchia's that fell on hard times?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Cocchia From Cesinali, Avellino

Post by adelfio »

After looking at the 7 October 1893 birth act of Giovanni Cocchia son of Nicola Cocchia when I was at the Family History Center I did some researching for his fathers marriage record went back in the records didn't not find him I think maybe they came from a different town

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Post Reply