Should I apply through Mother or Grandmother-Mother

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Jmsae
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 08:49

Should I apply through Mother or Grandmother-Mother

Post by Jmsae »

Very confusing situation, my mother was born in Italy and held “dual citizenship” having both a US and Italian passport, during my time of birth she held an Italian and US passport (1996) and she still currently holds a US and Italian passport.
They are resideint in the USA along with my grandmother.
My grandmother was born and raised in Italy, married a Puerto Rican man(they were married in Italy) and live and gave birth to my mother in Italy(1965) and then moved to the USA in 72-73.
Nobody ever renounced their citizenship.

I would be a 1st generation born American in my family, but I am in a pickle in what to do paper wise, since my mother was a Italain passport holder at the time of my birth (it was expired but she was still a holder and never renounced her italain citizenship) should I just apply through my mother or should i apply through my Grandmother-Mother.
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Should I apply through Mother or Grandmother-Mother

Post by jennabet »

You must apply through the last ancestor that was born in Italy. In this case, it's your mother and not her mother.
Post Reply