Help with translating a letter from the archives

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
labefana2586
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 19 Jul 2017, 06:19

Help with translating a letter from the archives

Post by labefana2586 »

Hi Guys,

I received this letter from the military archives and am trying to make sure I understand exactly what they said so I can figure out what I need to do next:

Si invia, in annesso, per competenza e diretta evasione, la richiesta inoltrata a questo Ente con lettera in riferimento, relativa alla richiesta dell’interessato in indirizzo per conoscenza.
2. Ad integrazione, si comunica che, nella considerazione che presso gli archivi del Centro non sono stati rinvenuti atti relativi al nominativo in oggetto, per qualsiasi eventuale futura esigenza inerente alla documentazione in argomento, l’interessato dovrà rivolgere la richiesta all’Archivio di Stato in indirizzo per competenza.
3. Si rimane a disposizione per qualsiasi eventuale ed ulteriore chiarimento.

I am just using google translate and it didn't seem to work to well but if I understand correctly - are they saying that nothing showed up for that name in their records and that I should direct any future requests for information to the correct province? Is that correct? Does this mean that I need to inquire in a different province? I am looking for my ancestors military record born 1870 from Marineo. I applied for the records from Palermo.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with translating a letter from the archives

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi

What I'm understanding is that no records were found for your ancestor, and that you should write a letter to the State Archives. (I think you may have sent your letter to the Ministry of Defence in Palermo???)

If the town your ancestor was born in was Marineo, then you should write to the State Archives in Palermo.


Archivio di Stato di Palermo
Via Vittorio Emanuele 31 (Palermo)

Someone can help you with an email address. If you'd like help with the letter, let us know, and someone will type up a very simple one up for you. (They don't want to be reading too many words but it has to make sense.) You need to include the name of the ancestor, respective parents' names and especially the date of birth or at least the year born.

Edit to Add: Possible email: as-pa@beniculturali.it

Angela :)
Post Reply