Hello,
I am looking into my eligibility for Jure Sanguinis. Before I start spending any money on documents (birth and marriage certificates from Sicily) I thought I would check here to see if you all can give me a thumbs up or down on moving further.
My great-grandmother and great-grandfather were born in Sicily in 1893 and 1890 respectively. They emigrated to the US on May 21, 1920. My great-grandfather, according to the petition for naturalization that I found, was naturalized on June 30, 1938. My great-grandfather was also naturalized on June 30, 1938
My grandmother was born in Omaha, NB on 06/29/1923 (before they naturalized)
My mother was born in Omaha, NB on 01/04/51 (after 1948, that is important, right?)
Do my son (under 18) and I qualify for Jure Sanguinis?
Thanks,
Jennifer
Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
BTW, your son would qualify even if he were over 18. That he is still a minor means that he is able to piggyback off your application, and one application means one fee. The documents needed are the same.
Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
Thank you for your response mler. I will go ahead with securing the documents that I need. I found someone in Sicily from this forum that can get my great grandparents documents from the commune that they are from, Castelvetrano, and have them translated (Giovanni Montanti, http://www.sicilyvideo.it/eng/album/album.html). The cost is $70US base fee + $60US for each document that I need. Can you think of any special instructions for the document procurement that I would need here since you appear to have lots of experience in this arena?
Thanks! Jennifer
Thanks! Jennifer
Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
Nothing special.
Yours is a straightforward application, so just follow the guidelines on your consulate’s website.
Obviously, Italian documents do not need to be translated. US documents (with the exception of naturalization documents) need translations and apostilles.
Yours is a straightforward application, so just follow the guidelines on your consulate’s website.
Obviously, Italian documents do not need to be translated. US documents (with the exception of naturalization documents) need translations and apostilles.
Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
Thanks mler. This is so exciting! I am going to start pulling everything together.
Jennifer
Jennifer
Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
Hello, I have another questions regarding eligibility requirements. I see on the application for Italian Citizenship that you have to fill out Form 3 and/or Form 4 that declares that your ancestor has never renounced Italian citizenship. However, I see on my great grandfather's and great grandmother's application for naturalization that they signed and Oath of Allegiance declaring that they "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state and sovereignty, and particularly to Victor Emmanuel III, King of Italy" This was signed in 1938 (18 years after they arrived in the US). My grandmother was born in 1923. Does this mean that I do not qualify for Italian citizenship or I am still clear to apply since my grandmother was born before their declaration? I meet all the other requirements as far as I can tell.
Also, I have the petition for naturalization for both of my GGP but application for Italian Citizenship asks for the certificate #, date and city of naturalization. Any advice on how to find these documents?
Thanks-Jennifer
Also, I have the petition for naturalization for both of my GGP but application for Italian Citizenship asks for the certificate #, date and city of naturalization. Any advice on how to find these documents?
Thanks-Jennifer
Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
Not a problem. The ascendants who naturalized, of course, lost citizenship when their naturalizations became effective. These forms are for the subsequent ascendants, which in your case are grandparents and parents.
The actual certificate of naturalization is obtained from USCIS. The preliminary documents, which should include the information you seek, should be at NARA.
The actual certificate of naturalization is obtained from USCIS. The preliminary documents, which should include the information you seek, should be at NARA.
Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
Thanks Mler. You are SO HELPFUL!
I just found a service online called http://getitaliancitizenship.com. Do you recommend going with a service like this or just gathering everything up myself and proceeding on my own?
I just found a service online called http://getitaliancitizenship.com. Do you recommend going with a service like this or just gathering everything up myself and proceeding on my own?
Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
I don’t know much about services such as these. I gathered my family documents myself.
Re: Jure Sanguinis Eligibility through great grandparents
I think that I can pull everything together myself. The naturalization document might be the hardest to find. At least I have the application for naturalization to work from...and we have the internet which is immensely helpful.
Thanks
Thanks

