same names

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Post Reply
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite
Posts: 259
Joined: 27 May 2018, 20:15
Location: New Jersey

same names

Post by EllenCatusco »

Is it common in Italian culture to name one child after a child that has died? I have 2 Domenica in the family. One born is 1850 another in 1856. Same parents, and I have not found death for the first one. Just courious.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: same names

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Yes, it is.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: same names

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

It's more about keeping to Italian naming customs though rather than naming baby after deceased baby.

This might help you to understand: https://www.italiangenealogy.com/articl ... ifications

Angela
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite
Posts: 259
Joined: 27 May 2018, 20:15
Location: New Jersey

Re: same names

Post by EllenCatusco »

Thank you, very good article. Now I understand.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: same names

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome Ellen. I'm glad the article helped to clarify things for you.

Angela :)
Post Reply