Help translating 1896 birth record?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
robertk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 03 Sep 2018, 20:44

Help translating 1896 birth record?

Post by robertk »

Yesterday I got a giant break in my family tree research when I found out the birth name of one of my maternal great-grandfathers. I was able to find a US naturalization petition with his DOB and birth city on the petition (got really lucky here) and then what I believe is his birth record in the archives for San Fele, Italy.

Could someone please help me translate the certificate? I want to verify that I found the correct person and fill in his parents on the family tree. Thank you in advance for your help!!

His record is attached as an image, and, for reference, here's a link to it (he is the lower part of the right page): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1483052
Attachments
Jospeh Seritella.jpeg
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5841
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help translating 1896 birth record?

Post by PippoM »

Record date: Nov 15th, 1896 at 12
Giuseppe Serritella was born on Nov 13th, 1896 at 4pm at via Torretta.
Father was Antonio Serritella, and mother Maria Tafaro, both peasants.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
robertk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 03 Sep 2018, 20:44

Re: Help translating 1896 birth record?

Post by robertk »

Thank you PippoM!

Also want to share Tessa78's translation that she did for me as I was waiting for this post to be approved, in case the longer translation may be helpful to anyone:
Record #265
Dated 15 November 1896 in Sanfele
Before the official appeared Mariantonia Maula, 66yo midwife, resident of Sanfele, to declare that at 4 PM on the 13th of the current month, at the house in Via Torretta, to Maria Tafaro, farmer, wife of Antonio Serritella, farmer, both residing together, was born a male child who she (midwife) presented to the official, and to whom was given the name GIUSEPPE
To the above act (declaration) were present as witnesses: Michelangelo Cappiello, 46, mule driver; and Giuseppe Di Giacomo, 42, landowner, both residing in this town.
The declaration of said birth was made by the midwife because she assisted in the birth and in place of the husband who was absent from the country.
The witnesses signed with the official as the others were illiterate.
Post Reply