Hi
I wonder if anyone can help as I am still confused
My grandmother was born in Italy, she married my english grandfather after the war in 1946, they moved back to england and my father was born in 1947
I have read that my grandmother could not pass automatic citizenship to my father as he was born before the 1948 act.
What I would like to find out is, when my grandmother married my grandfather in italy, did my english grandfather become an italian citizen?
Both my great grandparents, born and died in italy. I still have uncles and cousins in italy that I am in contact with.
I cannot find out if my grandmother ever neutralised but I have been told she had a UK passport, but my question is, after living in England from the age of 19 until she died aged 79, it would of been a EU passport and not a UK.
I am really hoping this is not the end of the road for myself to get dual citizenship.
If anyone can help that would be great.
Thanks
Joanne
Dual Citizenship Help Please
Re: Dual Citizenship Help Please
Joanne, I believe that after 1948, a woman could obtain citizenship from her British husband by request. This request for British citizenship would equate to naturalization.
Since your grandparents were married in 1946, it seems that your gm obtained British citizenship automatically and not through naturalization. This means she retained her Italian citizenship, but because your father was born before 1948, you would have to go the court route with a 1948 case.
Please do check British citizenship law to determine if she did obtain citizenship automatically. Check the British Nationality Act of 1948.
Your gf did not obtain Italian citizenship from his wife.
Since your grandparents were married in 1946, it seems that your gm obtained British citizenship automatically and not through naturalization. This means she retained her Italian citizenship, but because your father was born before 1948, you would have to go the court route with a 1948 case.
Please do check British citizenship law to determine if she did obtain citizenship automatically. Check the British Nationality Act of 1948.
Your gf did not obtain Italian citizenship from his wife.

