Re-aquisition process of Italian citizenship in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
zagiz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Jan 2019, 00:46

Re-aquisition process of Italian citizenship in Italy

Post by zagiz »

I am happy that I have found this website. :)

My partner is a US citizen and because of the naturalization, he lost his Italian citizenship in the 80s. I know he can start the process through US consulates, but I was wondering if it is possible to do the whole process in Italy when he is there. I tried to look for this online, but I did not find anything in English (and I do not speak Italian, and my partner is not computer savvy...).
If there is any website or link available, it would be great to start, and if it is in Italian, I could show him and go from there.

Thank you in advance! :)
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Re-aquisition process of Italian citizenship in Italy

Post by mler »

Why would he not want to go through the consulate? There is no long wait time as for those who are applying jure sanguinis. He simply needs to go to the consulate, complete the required paperwork and then, within a year, establish residency in Italy.

If he wishes to avoid the consulate, he will need to establish residency in Italy, inform the comune that he would like to reacquire the citizenship he lost to naturalization, and then live in Italy for one year. This works well if he intends to stay in Italy for at least a year. If not, the consulate route gets it done more quickly.

Specific instructions here from the NY consulate:

https://consnewyork.esteri.it/consolato ... liana.html
Post Reply