Help Liste di Estrazione translation & meaning

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 122
Joined: 12 Dec 2010, 13:29

Help Liste di Estrazione translation & meaning

Post by Josie07M11 »

Hello,

I need some help to translate and clarify the meaning of my ancestor's Antonino Sulfaro's Liste di Estrazione.

Here are the words I managed to transcribe:

Dichiarato renitente 17 Aug 1905
Cancellata la renitenza si mandato alla ventura leva per oligoemia malarica


Close up: https://imgur.com/a/bgE2u1r
Full document: (Part 1) https://imgur.com/FzzWZTT
(Part 2) https://imgur.com/NF0ymlY

--

I believe "dicharato renitente" essentially means he did not do the compulsory military service (I think this is because he was in America) but then I know he came back to Italy with his family after the war.

Did they cancel the desertion? I think"oligoemia" means anemia and "malarica" is malaria, but how do these medical issues factor in his desertion?

Thank you!
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help Liste di Estrazione translation & meaning

Post by mmogno »

Josie07M11 wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 07:11 Here are the words I managed to transcribe:

Dichiarato renitente 17 Aug 1905
Cancellata la renitenza rimandato alla ventura leva per oligoemia malarica
Antonino Sulfaro was "dichiarato renitente", because he did not show up for the military visit to which he had been summoned. Then this qualification ("renitente") has been cancelled (probably he justified the absence because he was ill) and his call was postponed to the following year because of the disease "oligoemia malarica", that is anemia due to malaria.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 122
Joined: 12 Dec 2010, 13:29

Re: Help Liste di Estrazione translation & meaning

Post by Josie07M11 »

Thank you mmongo! Since there isn't any more information about Antonino Sulfaro on this Liste di Estrazione does that mean he likely never served in the military? Or could there be another Liste di Estazione for him with more information?

Also, if you would be so kind, can you help me understand what the paragraph under "Segni particolari" says? I think the first two words are "cicatrice sopracciglio" (eyebrow scar?) but I don't know the rest of the words.

Thank you!
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help Liste di Estrazione translation & meaning

Post by mmogno »

Josie07M11 wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 04:48 Thank you mmongo! Since there isn't any more information about Antonino Sulfaro on this Liste di Estrazione does that mean he likely never served in the military?
No, not necessarily.
Or could there be another Liste di Estazione for him with more information?
Check the Liste di Leva for the following year or search for the Foglio Matricolare

Also, if you would be so kind, can you help me understand what the paragraph under "Segni particolari" says? I think the first two words are "cicatrice sopracciglio" (eyebrow scar?) but I don't know the rest of the words.
Segni particolari: cicatrice sopracciglio sinistro e zigomo destro (left eyebrow and right cheek)
Thank you!
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
Josie07M11
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 122
Joined: 12 Dec 2010, 13:29

Re: Help Liste di Estrazione translation & meaning

Post by Josie07M11 »

Thank you so much mmogno! You have been very helpful.:)
Post Reply