This is my first post and I am very new to tracing my family history. I have done lots of reading on this forum and I am hoping some of you can help me. I have been tracing my fathers side of the family for awhile now and I am not sure where to go next to verify any of this information. This is what I have so far.
My grandfather is Salvador Saccaro B. 1918 New Orleans
His parents were Ella Blass and Joseph Saccaro (Joseph possibly born in Italy but can't verify)
Joseph's parents were Catherine Provenzano and Salvatore Saccaro.
I know that Catherine and Salvatore came from Italy. I am assuming Sicily because most ships arriving in New Orleans came from there. Problem is, I can't find Catherine, Salvatore or Joseph on any ship manifests to N.O. I have the census from 1900, 1910 and 1920 and it says Salvatore and Catherine arrived sometime after 1890. The 1910 and 1930 arrival years are conflicting and I can't read the 1920 census. I have searched the manifests from Sicily to New Orleans that are available online only. I currently reside in Germany so visiting the library in Louisiana is not possible for the time being. So here are my questions and I hope you can lead me in the right direction.
Are all ship manifests online and available to search or am I able to contact the library and have them search their records?
If the census says Salvatore and Catherine were aliens does that mean they never became citizens?
Also, do you find generally the information on familysearch.org is correct? I found some information on Salvatore's family and I don't know how to verify that this information is correct.
Sorry for the excessive questions. Tracing my family is still very new and I am easily confused. I thought if I just found the names of my great great grandparents I would be happy. But searching for your ancestors is very addictive and quite interesting.
Julie


