Pre 1983 Marriage Case?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
kalmetam
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 15 Apr 2016, 21:09

Pre 1983 Marriage Case?

Post by kalmetam »

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I'm living in Italy and trying to attain Italian citizenship. However, I'm not exactly sure how I can attain it. Here is the information on my ancestors.

My paternal grandfather Emile was born in Zara, Italy (Now Zadar, Croatia) in September 1921. He also fought in the Italian army.

My paternal grandmother Agatina was born in Paternò, Italy in 1930. She moved to the US at the age of 17 and was immediately naturalized as a US citizen via her mother (Who was already living in the US for a long time).

My grandparents married in November 1951.

My grandfather was naturalized a US citizen in December 1957.

My father was born in the US in September 1958... after my grandfather's naturalization.

OK So most people would say that essentially I'm screwed and I would need to live in Italy for 3 years in order to be naturalized (Which sounds great in theory but I'm a student and it looks like I would need to make a certain income on-the-books per year.. which I'm not). However, someone made an interesting point once to me that since marriage passed IMMEDIATELY to a woman after marriage to an Italian man, my grandmother would have become an Italian citizen again in 1951 and I would be able to attain Italian citizenship through her.

Is this a viable option or a pipe dream?
Thanks in advance :)
User avatar
ItalianTranslator
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 20 Feb 2019, 18:05
Contact:

Re: Pre 1983 Marriage Case?

Post by ItalianTranslator »

I think I have a point, but you may need a lawyer to make it across. However, I am a newbie at this, so let's wait for the big guns to chime in! ;-)
🇺🇸🇬🇧🇮🇹 ATA and CIOL translator, providing certified translations for applicants in the US and UK. Listed in Los Angeles and London consulates.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Pre 1983 Marriage Case

Post by mler »

Yes, women automatically acquired Italian citizenship when they married before 1983 so it seems you would qualify. However, the problem I see is that your gm did not “acquire” citizenship in 1951; she “reacquired” citizenship, a technical difference but a difference nonetheless.

Despite this, you should be able to have citizenship recognized through this line. You can apply through a lawyer, but lawyers will not take a citizenship case unless it is impossible to proceed through the consulates. If you reside in the jurisdiction of a consulate, you should attempt to apply there. The pre-1983 rule is well known by consular officials. If you reside in Italy, apply at your comune.

If you are unsuccessful in this process, contact a lawyer and proceed from there.
kalmetam
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 15 Apr 2016, 21:09

Re: Pre 1983 Marriage Case?

Post by kalmetam »

Thank you for the replies! I actually went to the comune here in Bologna this morning and I talked to the citizenship staff. They told me it might be possible but I need more documentation. The fact that my grandfather is from Zadar makes things even complicated. They said I might need proof of historic residence on the Italian peninsula during the 1940s (after he came back from the war) and/or military documentation that he served in the Italian military during WWII.

I'll keep you all updated.
Post Reply