From Scotland and great britian to Rome, Italy...Why tho?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
lyn1982
Master
Master
Posts: 586
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 05:05

From Scotland and great britian to Rome, Italy...Why tho?

Post by lyn1982 »

What would possibly cause somebody to immigrate from Scotland and Great Britian in the 1800s to Rome, Italy?

These two likely ancestors of mine here:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/161 ... y-caldwell

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/161 ... h-caldwell

did so.

I am just wondering what their reasoning could have possibly been. It seems such a far place to immigrate to and I assume they wouldn't have known the language either, so why? There must be some good reason. Anyone have any ideas?

Since they married in Florenc in 1837 my thinking is maybe she was fleeing from an arranged marriage to marry the man she really loved? I mean, they surely must have known each other before they both arrived in italy, right? But, why choose Italy of all places, considering they would have had to learn a whole new language. The US, Canada or Australia would have all made more sense.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: From Scotland and great britian to Rome, Italy...Why tho?

Post by suanj »

If I remember correctly, in the 1800s in Florence there was a conspicuous community of people from the United Kingdom. I believe they moved to Rome for business reasons ... or if they had any relatives in Rome with whom they wanted to get together. It is not uncommon for people from the United Kingdom to come to Italy. They love it for the climate, especially Tuscany. Language is not a barrier, as it is not for Italians in the UK ... it is learned.
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lyn1982
Master
Master
Posts: 586
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 05:05

Re: From Scotland and great britian to Rome, Italy...Why tho?

Post by lyn1982 »

Thank you for the information, very interesting!
Post Reply