Citizenship through step-parent?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Tristen1997
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 Oct 2019, 13:24

Citizenship through step-parent?

Post by Tristen1997 »

Hi everyone!

My step-father is, I believe, an Italian citizen de facto. His father was an Italian citizen at the time of his birth (1980). He married my mother in 2016. I am 22 years old and was not legally adopted by him at the time of the marriage.

Here are my assumptions and questions, please let me know if I am right or wrong.

1. My step-father is a de facto Italian citizen.

2. Once my stepfather has filed for citizenship and received his citizenship papers my mother can apply as well (since they have been married for over 3 years). I do realize though that she will probably have to wait 2 years for these to be processed.

3. Would it be possible for me to get citizenship through my mother once she is an Italian citizen?

4. If my stepfather adopts me (in my state adult adoption for stepparents legalizing their relationship with stepchildren is a relatively easy and straightforward process which will result in a new birth certificate with him as my father, I can also at the same time change my last name to his) will I be able to get citizenship through him?

Our family is considering a big move to Italy and it’s important to us that we can all do this together and do it legally so your guys input is incredibly appreciated.
Post Reply