Help interpreting an Italian army record from WWI

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
Kw0311
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 May 2020, 18:09

Help interpreting an Italian army record from WWI

Post by Kw0311 »

Hello all, I just ordered the record of my father in law's grandfather who was in the Italian army during WWI. However I'm having some trouble reading the handwriting. I would appreciate any help in transcribing it so I can pass it on to my father in law. Thanks in advance for any help,

Kevin
Attachments
Screenshot_20200526-123039_Gmail.jpg
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help interpreting an Italian army record from WWI

Post by PippoM »

Left box:
Figlio di Francesco
e Iannicola Mariantonia
nato il 10 settembre 1899
a Pietraroia
circondario di Cerreto
statura; m. 1,61 torace m. 0,88
capelli colore castano, forma liscia
naso regolare
mento tondo
occhi chiari
colorito pallido
dentatura sana
arte o professione falegname
sa leggere sì; sa scrivere sì
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help interpreting an Italian army record from WWI

Post by PippoM »

Right box:
Soldato di leva prima categoria classe 1899 distretto di Benevento e lasciato in congedo illimitato May 4, 1917
Chiamato alle armi per mobilitazione ai sensi della circolare 355 del 1917 e giunto - Jun 15th, 1917
Tale nel deposito del 14° reggimento fanteria - Jun 20th, 1917
Tale zappatore in Rezzo (?) - Nov 9, 1917
Giunto in territorio dichiarato in stato di guerra - Jan 21, 1918
Tale nella 29a Brigata di marcia - Jan 25, 1918
Tale nel Battaglione complementare nel deposito del 49° reggimento fanteria - Feb 8, 1918
Fatto prigioniero - Jun 15, 1918
Rientrato dalla prigione e giunto nel 14° fanteria Foggia - Nov 4, 1918
Tale nel 1° reggimento coloniale (Siracusa) - Feb 23, 1919
Tale nel 4° fanteria (Bengasi) - Aug 4, 1919
Tale di autorità nel Real Corpo Truppe coloniali della Cirenaica - Jan 1st, 1920
Tale nella 171a batteria da 105 Bengasi - Feb 5, 1920
Tale cessa di appartenere al corpo di truppe coloniali per amputazione (?) e provvisto di foglio di congedo illimitato - Feb 26, 1921
Tale imbarcatosi a Bengasi per rimpatrio - Feb 26, 1921

I hope you can understand what it says, otherwise, you can ask.
I'm not sure about the word "amputazione"...had he lost a finger, or one of his limbs?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Kw0311
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 May 2020, 18:09

Re: Help interpreting an Italian army record from WWI

Post by Kw0311 »

Wow that's incredible thank you very much. I'm told he was discharged because he contracted malaria. I really appreciate the translation, again thank you
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help interpreting an Italian army record from WWI

Post by mmogno »

PippoM wrote: 29 May 2020, 15:36 Right box:
...
Rientrato dalla prigionia e giunto nel 14° fanteria Foggia - Nov 4, 1918
...
Tale cessa di appartenere al corpo di truppe coloniali per smobilitazione (= military demobilization) e provvisto di foglio di congedo illimitato - Feb 26, 1921
....
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Kw0311
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 May 2020, 18:09

Re: Help interpreting an Italian army record from WWI

Post by Kw0311 »

Hello again, I have another one that I need help with if you dont mind again. This one is from the uncle of my wife's great grandfather. Thank you in advance
Attachments
Screenshot_20200604-115857_Gallery.jpg
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 21:59

Re: Help interpreting an Italian army record from WWI

Post by bvbellomo »

Where did you get these? Are they online?
kward0311×2
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Jun 2020, 18:04

Re: Help interpreting an Italian army record from WWI

Post by kward0311×2 »

No, they're not online. They are stored in the State archives of whatever State the person was from, in my case, it was Benevento so I wrote them an email requesting the "ruolo di matricolare" of my ancestor. Provide them with the name of the town they were born, names of the parents, and birth date of the person whose record it is. I'm not sure if the price is the same for each different State archive but for Benevento it was 3 euro for a digital copy. I sent the money via western union and I had the record the next day
Post Reply