Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Mommypants3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 31 Dec 2019, 02:01

Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by Mommypants3 »

Hello again! While I move forward with my research, I figured I would reach out for help again, as you guys were so nice to help in the past! I am looking into my great-great and great-great-great grandparents on my grandmother's side. First, Lucia Mazzucco born 1875 in Tufo to Ignazio Mazzucco and either Ava Autorno Mazzucco or Maria Tucciarone Mazzucco. I have been unable to find anything on Ava. Lucia then married Pasquale Tucciarone, who was born July 29 1873 in Tufo area to Dominick and Maria (Laroque) Tucciarone. Lucia and Pasquale had my great grandmother, Maria (Mary) Tucciarone in 1897 in Tufo area, as well as several other children. After this, I do get a bit confused, as I found several passenger lists with Mazzucco/Tucciarone coming together to America from same area as my ancestors, but some of the individuals confuse me, as it seems these families intersected a lot throughout history. Any guidance or information is greatly appreciated! I hope every one is staying well!


Gina
User avatar
ottolino
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 82
Joined: 09 Jul 2018, 09:24

Re: Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by ottolino »

hi there, are you sure that Tufo is the right town? just looked through the "indici decennali" (decade index) from 1866 to 1885, and not a single Mazzucco was born in Tufo...
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... decennali/

... which, by the way, is province of Avellino, not Caserta:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tufo,_Campania
25% Taranto - Di Castro, Sguro, Schinaja, Padalino, Pisano, Abbracciavento
25% Napoli - Cotugno, Parlato, Tosti
25% Barletta - Lavecchia, Cilli, Curci, Digiovanni, Dipalo
25% Caserta - Santoro, D'Ancicco, Bonelli, Fusco, Di Lucca, Fisone
...
100% me! :)
Mommypants3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 31 Dec 2019, 02:01

Re: Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by Mommypants3 »

Unfortunately I am completely unsure of the actual town that my family came from. Just going by what I've been told, which hasn't been a lot, clearly, as I dont even know that Tufo is not in Caserta. Haha. All I know for sure is that my family came from that general area, anywhere from around Tufo and Latina to Potenza, somewhere in there.
User avatar
ottolino
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 82
Joined: 09 Jul 2018, 09:24

Re: Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by ottolino »

I had another look at forebears, and looks like - while Tucciarone is fairly common in the south, Mazzucco is prevalent in the north:
https://forebears.io/surnames/tucciarone
https://forebears.io/surnames/mazzucco

some of my relatives in Caserta bear a surname that is really only found in the north... must have been the case of soldiers that get lost and made themselves comfortable with southern girls :D

I'll see if I can find out a bit more about the area, and possible alternatives to Tufo.
25% Taranto - Di Castro, Sguro, Schinaja, Padalino, Pisano, Abbracciavento
25% Napoli - Cotugno, Parlato, Tosti
25% Barletta - Lavecchia, Cilli, Curci, Digiovanni, Dipalo
25% Caserta - Santoro, D'Ancicco, Bonelli, Fusco, Di Lucca, Fisone
...
100% me! :)
Mommypants3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 31 Dec 2019, 02:01

Re: Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by Mommypants3 »

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by Tessa78 »

Where did they settle in the USA?

Pasquale's Find a Grave...
Died in 1956?
Lived in Schenectady?
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/209202742

SOOO...
Here is a probable trip for Lucia Tucciarone in 1933 -
Returning from Minturno, Casserta - to Schenectady NY and son, Antonio Tucciarone
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... cessSource

Looks like she was from Minturno


T.
Mommypants3
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 31 Dec 2019, 02:01

Re: Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by Mommypants3 »

Hi T,

I know that Pasquale and Lucia Tucciarone settled in Schenectady/Glenville area of NY. I have records saying Pasquale was naturalized in 1924 in Schenectady. He died in 1956 and Lucia died in 1964, both in Schenectady. I believe that Pasquale's brother, Leonardo Tucciarone, was a border in their home in at least 1930, according to the census. They were both employed by GE. I don't think that Pasquale's parents, Dominick and Maria, ever came over, but I may be wrong. I am also unsure if Lucia's parents, Ignazio and Ava? Mazzucco ever came over. I was intrigued, however, after looking at several passenger lists that had Mazzucco and Tucciarone families traveling together from around the same area as my family, Minturno, and ending up in NY. Perhaps cousins? I even found a list that had Ignazio Mazzucco and Maria Tucciarone traveling together, possibly in laws coming to see the grandkids? I'm unsure, as this is where I hit a dead end. I appreciate your help!

Gina
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a probable trip for Lucia Tucciarone in 1933 -
Returning from Minturno, Casserta - to Schenectady NY and son, Antonio Tucciarone

she is on the last line.
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... cessSource

T.
User avatar
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite
Posts: 498
Joined: 03 Jun 2012, 22:28
Location: Cocoa, Florida

Re: Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Gina - my great-grandpa, Andrea Tucciarone (1874-1946), was from Tufo. Also, I have a 5x great-grandpa, Filippo Mazzucco, born in 1755, but I don't know where he lived. I've also found that, while Tucciarone is and was a very common name in Tufo/Minturno/Traetto, it's very rare anywhere else in Italy. And, I have distant Tucciarone cousins from New York.
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Mazzucco/ Tucciarone from Caserta area

Post by rlw254 »

There is another village called Tufo right outside of Minturno; this is likely the one you want, not the Tufo in Avellino. It sounds like a good bet that they are from this Tufo or Minturno but records are not available online that cover the time period you need.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
Post Reply