Guarini/Guarino
Guarini/Guarino
I can't seem to find immigration info on my grandmother, Antonetta Guarini/Guarino from Avellino Italy. According to my dad she was born about 1890 and arrived in the US at age 16yrs about 1906. She spoke very broken English but he says she told him that she came over on a German Steamship Estamburg (sp?). I don't know if she actually came through Ellis Island but she settled in Manhattan, NY. I found a bunch of information on her but nothing matched her immigration records. I found one but the dates are off and she turns out to be 19 when she arrived. Possible but not quite right. Her father's name was Nicola Guarini and mother Antonette Gandola. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Re: Guarini/Guarino
Hi & welcome to the forum!
Is Guarini/Guarino, her maiden name or married name? If maiden, can you provide spouse's name, date of birth (year) & did they continued to live in Manhattan? Any children names & their birth years would also be helpful. Do you know if she came with her parents? Would like to see if we can locate her on census records.
Thanks,
jcsm
Is Guarini/Guarino, her maiden name or married name? If maiden, can you provide spouse's name, date of birth (year) & did they continued to live in Manhattan? Any children names & their birth years would also be helpful. Do you know if she came with her parents? Would like to see if we can locate her on census records.
Thanks,
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Guarini/Guarino
Guarino was her maiden name. She was married to Giovanni "John" Campolongo. I found them both in several census records but no immigration records. They were married in NYC in 1909 at age 20 for her and 25 for him. Giovanni is from Naples Italy and Antonetta is from Avellino Italy. They both died in Manhattan. Thanks for the reply.jcsm400 wrote:Hi & welcome to the forum!
Is Guarini/Guarino, her maiden name or married name? If maiden, can you provide spouse's name, date of birth (year) & did they continued to live in Manhattan? Any children names & their birth years would also be helpful. Do you know if she came with her parents? Would like to see if we can locate her on census records.
Thanks,
jcsm
Guarino/Guarini, Campolongo, Tacinelli, Monaco, Iandolo, Festa, De Lisa,
Re: Guarini/Guarino
Hi,
The surname was mistranscribed... should have been Guarino...
Cannot connect this person to anyone you've mentioned at this point...
She would be joining her uncle Pasquale Clemente? in NY
First Name: Antonetta (born about 1889)
Last Name: Quarino (Guarino)
Ethnicity: Italy Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Avellino
Date of Arrival: Mar 05, 1907
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Romanic
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0016
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1898150194&
Maria
The surname was mistranscribed... should have been Guarino...
Cannot connect this person to anyone you've mentioned at this point...
She would be joining her uncle Pasquale Clemente? in NY
First Name: Antonetta (born about 1889)
Last Name: Quarino (Guarino)
Ethnicity: Italy Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Avellino
Date of Arrival: Mar 05, 1907
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Romanic
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0016
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1898150194&
Maria
Re: Guarini/Guarino
Hi Maria,
Not sure if this manifest isn't QUARINO....information taker writes his "G" differently...see Giuseppe several lines above. Also ancestry shows listings for the surname Quarino.
rg105.
Did a ship search, but no "Estamburg" or similiar
Are you looking for her immigration info to get her town of origin? Yes?..Have you obtained all their childrens' birth certificates & her death certificate?....these may list it.
jcsm
Not sure if this manifest isn't QUARINO....information taker writes his "G" differently...see Giuseppe several lines above. Also ancestry shows listings for the surname Quarino.
rg105.
Did a ship search, but no "Estamburg" or similiar
Are you looking for her immigration info to get her town of origin? Yes?..Have you obtained all their childrens' birth certificates & her death certificate?....these may list it.
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Guarini/Guarino
I believe that the ship record of Maria is right, the birthyear also:
Antonette CAMPOLONGO
Birth Date: 13 Jun 1889
Death Date: Apr 1963
Social Security Number: 115-01-5232
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: New York
regards, suanj
Antonette CAMPOLONGO
Birth Date: 13 Jun 1889
Death Date: Apr 1963
Social Security Number: 115-01-5232
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: New York
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Guarini/Guarino
Hi Maria & suanj,
You're both are far more knowledgeable on manifests than I am, so I'm sure you are correct. Hope I didn't offend...definitely didn't mean too!
XOXO
jcsm
You're both are far more knowledgeable on manifests than I am, so I'm sure you are correct. Hope I didn't offend...definitely didn't mean too!
XOXO
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Guarini/Guarino
Thanks guys! I will check this out today and let you know what happens. Again thanks so much.
Rita
Rita
Guarino/Guarini, Campolongo, Tacinelli, Monaco, Iandolo, Festa, De Lisa,
Re: Guarini/Guarino
Rita,
Do you have your grandfather's manifest?
If not, is this one possible?
vj
manifest CAMPOLONGO?
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0012
SS Bolivia 3 Apr 1903, Naples to NY
line 8
CAPOLONGO, Nicola, 24 (abt 1879)
line 12
CAPOLONGO, Giovanni, 19? (abt 1884)
(same info for both)
laborer
last residence Roccarainola? (Napoli)
destination Scranton, PA
joining uncle Antonio Alfono
Do you have your grandfather's manifest?
If not, is this one possible?
vj
manifest CAMPOLONGO?
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0012
SS Bolivia 3 Apr 1903, Naples to NY
line 8
CAPOLONGO, Nicola, 24 (abt 1879)
line 12
CAPOLONGO, Giovanni, 19? (abt 1884)
(same info for both)
laborer
last residence Roccarainola? (Napoli)
destination Scranton, PA
joining uncle Antonio Alfono
Re: Guarini/Guarino
Hi jcsm...jcsm400 wrote:Hi Maria & suanj,
You're both are far more knowledgeable on manifests than I am, so I'm sure you are correct. Hope I didn't offend...definitely didn't mean too!
XOXO
jcsm
Not offended at all... but before I posted.. I also compared the G (going on memory here...) of the person on line 4 of the manifest... I also checked out the uncle as well...
The older script "Q" looks more like a question mark...? (going on memory)... again..
Well.. with all at home for the holidays... I have to research at night when all is quiet... as there is now a line up for the computer...
Last night I too checked out the ships name starting with the letter "E" ... and as jcsm.... nothing even close...
I then looked for other ships... and found this manifest.. and thought... maybe she came to the USA on German sounding boat like the "Berlin"...
But age is way off...
Further edit...
Here's the ship Berlin...
First Name: Antonetta
Last Name: Guarino
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Mantinnbeth, Avellnio
Date of Arrival: Dec 17, 1912
Age at Arrival: 7y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Berlin
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0021
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0516%2ETIF
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1050050348
-----------------------------------
Hey suanj... forza Italia!!
It is so hard to watch soccer sitting down... you should see Toronto.... Italian flags everywhere...
2 of my sons hung up their Italian flags outside.. (I am so proud that they feel Italian blood) but I hung up my Canadian flag too...
Happy Canada Day weekend to all !
Maria
Re: Guarini/Guarino
suanj wrote:I believe that the ship record of Maria is right, the birthyear also:
Antonette CAMPOLONGO
Birth Date: 13 Jun 1889
Death Date: Apr 1963
Social Security Number: 115-01-5232
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: New York
regards, suanj
Hi Rita,
A great source for obtaining town of origin (if filled out correctly) is the SS application.
Here is a link to form letter to request the application (if you want too).
http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.c ... amesiffix=
Hope it helps.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Guarini/Guarino
Thanks again everyone. I found alot of great stuff at EllisIsland.org and Ancestry. I'm going to check out the Capolongo, Giovanni record and also the SSDI rootsweb.com.
Thanks again.
I'll try to make it up to all of you by helping out with research as well.
Rita
Thanks again.
I'll try to make it up to all of you by helping out with research as well.
Rita
Guarino/Guarini, Campolongo, Tacinelli, Monaco, Iandolo, Festa, De Lisa,


