Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
nicoledambrosio
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 31 Mar 2012, 20:49

Italian citizenship

Post by nicoledambrosio »

Can anyone help me? I am trying to apply for Italian citizenship/dual citizenship. I am in the UK. My father was Italian and never renounced his Italian nationality, never became a British citizen. I have understood from the information on the Italian consulate website that I have to obtain confirmation that he never renounced his Italian citizenship. I cannot get this confirmation because the British authorities do not retain records for naturalizations before 1986. My father died in 1976. Does anyone have any experience of this? Do I absolutely need written confirmation? Is there another way to prove that he retained his Italian nationality?

Yours hopefully,
Nicole D'Ambrosio
gooch
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 14 Oct 2021, 20:34

Re: Italian citizenship

Post by gooch »

I'm not an expert but in the USA, we apply for a Cerificate of Non Existence (CONE letter), which covers a certain range of dates, and a letter from our national archives for the dates not covered by the CONE letter. The letter mostly states that for the person named in this letter, no naturalization has been found.

In the UK, it seems the National Archives can confirm up to 1986. - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/con ... alisation/ - This confirmation that's mentioned on this webpage may be what you need to add with your application. I don't know if this is the official UK government site or not, but it looks like it is.

I hope someone else with more experience can add to this. Hope this helps.
Post Reply