Joining Who?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Joining Who?

Post by darkerhorse »

What's written in this entry for "relative going to join"?
Attachments
Joining Who.docx
(733.3 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Joining Who?

Post by mmogno »

Good father Garofalo S(alvato)re
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Joining Who?

Post by darkerhorse »

I was thinking "goodfather Garofalo Francesco 5 Elm St."

"goodfather" meaning "godfather".

I also had considered "Sebastiano" and "Vincenzo", but I hadn't thought of "Salvatore".

However, I can't find a candidate with any of those first names.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Joining Who?

Post by darkerhorse »

Family Search transcribes the first name as "Ple".
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Joining Who?

Post by darkerhorse »

Anyone care to break the tie between Salvatore and Francesco?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Joining Who?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I am also reading "sre" and concur - it is Salvatore.

Please link us to the online entry. Ta.

Angela
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Joining Who?

Post by darkerhorse »

Here's the index card.

Does it also look like Salvatore is written here too?
Attachments
Card.pdf
(61.96 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Joining Who?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

darkerhorse wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 01:11 Here's the index card.

Does it also look like Salvatore is written here too?

Thanks for posting this. Sorry, I can't open the file. It's possibly because it is a docx. I wasn't able to locate the first one either from my laptop. I managed to view it on my tablet so will try that shortly.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Joining Who?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Yes, I would say so. I'm reading a capital "S" followed by either tre or lre in this document i.e. Stre.or Slre. I can't think what else it would be, at the moment, other than Salvatore.

(I remembered this post while at the supermarket the other day. I noticed there is a new line of pasta on the shelves and the brand name just happens to be "Garofalo". )

Angela
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Joining Who?

Post by mmogno »

Again "God-father Garofalo S.re 5 Elm St"
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Joining Who?

Post by darkerhorse »

The first letter of the first name does resemble the "S" in St. So, S.le or S.re could very well be Salvatore. I just can't find a good candidate named Salvatore Garofalo in the place of destination at that time.

There's better candidates named Francesco and Sebastiano but nobody reads it as that.

Someone also suggested Pasquale but I don't find any candidates with that first name either.
nooni
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 07:47

Re: Joining Who?

Post by nooni »

I wonder if S.re could also stand for Silvestre. Hard to cross-reference the handwriting without the full manifest image.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Joining Who?

Post by darkerhorse »

I don't think Silvestre is a possibility but you never know. I couldn't find any candidates with that first name.

The two candidates I find for a person joining named “Salvatore Garofalo” are too young to be the “godfather” of the immigrant who arrived in 1901. One is about 3 years older than the immigrant, and the other is about 17 years younger than the immigrant.

I suppose the one who is 17 years younger could be his “godson” but he would have been only about 10 years old when the immigrant arrived – too young to be the person joining. The one who is only about 3 years older than the immigrant is too young to be his godfather and too old to be his godson.

I found a better candidate, named Francesco Garofalo – who was about 17-20 years older than the immigrant. He was residing at the address referenced on the ship manifest – 5 Elim St. – only that record is for 7 years after the 1901 immigration. Records closer to 1901 have Francesco at different addresses.

The two Salvatore and the Francesco are from the same town in Sicily as the immigrant, and all immigrated before him, settling in the same city in the U.S.

So, my question is whether anyone thinks the abbreviated first name is “Francesco” rather than “Salvatore”. I admit that on the the card looks more like an “S” than an “F” but I think the letters on the ship resemble “frc” or “fre” as well as “sle” as other here have claimed.

Also, does anyone think “godfather” was an error or was a generic term used on ship manifests? If the immigrant was joining the Salvatore who was his contemporary then that was common but he couldn’t have been his godfather or godson.

I haven’t found any family relationship between the surnames.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Joining Who?

Post by darkerhorse »

This is the 1908 city directory showing a Francesco Garofalo residing at 5 Elm St (the target address) and a Salvatore Garofalo residing at 59 Ferry.

Note there's also a Sebastiana, widow of Francesco, residing at 33 Ferry St. So, maybe it's the same Francesco and the directory is behind a bit in updating entries.
Attachments
476189.jpg
Post Reply