Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
CiaoBella
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Mar 2022, 11:04

Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Post by CiaoBella »

Hi everyone,

I'm searching for the birth record of my mother (or her parents), an Italian born in 1959 in the Province of Reggio Calabria. I'm attempting to get Italian citizenship via descent as her child, but I need a copy of her birth certificate as the first step in this process. It seems quite challenging to find these records for anyone born after 1940 - although even both her father and mother are not listed anywhere (would assume born in 1920's-1930's).

My mother born in 1959 is called Lisetta Votano (or perhaps Lisa Votano) and her mother is Vincenza Votano. Her father is Antonio Votano.

I would appreciate any help, it certainly seems a challenging and very manual process to get documents together for citizenship.
CiaoBella
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Mar 2022, 11:04

Re: Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Post by CiaoBella »

Bumping this up as it was posted 3 weeks ago but only just had my account approved now.

Thanks to anyone for any guidance that can be provided.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Post by PippoM »

I can't understand...you don't where and when exactly she was born?
When did she emigrate? Did she marry abroad?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
CiaoBella
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Mar 2022, 11:04

Re: Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Post by CiaoBella »

Sorry, I must not have been clear. I do know the exact date of birth of my mother - 1st of Aug 1959. Moved to Australia some time in the 1960's (I don't have an exact date for that), and married in Australia.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I’ve found the following on the National Archives of Australia website. It's a really good website. You can search further there.

According to the following, Vincenza and Lisetta arrived in 1966. Vincenza was born Varapodio, 18 August 1918 and your mother was born in Terranova, said date.

Vincenza Votano: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchN ... 896&S=2487

Lisetta Votano: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchN ... 896&S=2475

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here is a possibile incoming passenger card for your Antonio Votano, arriving 1965, born in Terranova Sappo Minulio, on 17 February 1911, visiting a Teresa Votano, in Leopold? Sydney, planning to stay permanently.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchN ... 840&S=2011

I couldn’t see a closer match.


I think that before you go to all the trouble to complie the paper work required for Italian Citizenship, that it would be good to check in with our Emigration, Imigration, Naturalisation and Italian Citizenship Forum first to check whether you qualify. They will be able to tell you whether you qualify and the paperwork required.


Angela
CiaoBella
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Mar 2022, 11:04

Re: Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Post by CiaoBella »

Hi Angela,

Thanks so much with your help, this information is incredibly valuable. I think the main paperwork that I require is the birth certificate of my mother, so that will be the challenging thing to obtain. Unfortunately I haven't had much luck but will have to get in contact with some family/search more online and see how I go. But you're correct - I may not even qualify and so these cards will really help me have some evidence to present to see if I do qualify or not.

Thanks again for your help, those immigration cards are incredibly valuable.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Post by PippoM »

You may want to contact the town offices of Terranova Sappo Minulio to request the certificate:
Address: Piazza XXIV MAGGIO, 1
Manager: Dr. Alfredo Priolo
Opening time: 8:00-14:00
Phone number: 0966/619004
Fax: 0966/619121
E-Mail: anagrafe@comune.terranovasappominulio.rc.it
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
CiaoBella
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Mar 2022, 11:04

Re: Birth Record in Reggio Calabria from 1959

Post by CiaoBella »

Thank you very much for that Giuseppe, I've sent an email off and will try send a FAX as well if I don't get a reply to that, hopefully I have some luck.
Post Reply