Does anyone know how I could search or filter for a surname containing the Scandanavian letter Ø, as opposed to the German letter Ö, using Ancestry, Family Search, etc?
Results display both versions, but i can't seem to filter results by the different letters.
I suppose an analogy is Italian surnames ending in the accent mark ', like Aloe' and Crave'.
I'm trying to determine the ethnic origin of a "Danish" surname which I suspect is actually "German", and I figured how the letter o was written would help discern.
Different Letters
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Different Letters
Note. I've already tried copying and pasting the different letters into the name but the search results don't seem to differentiate one form the other.
The distribution of available records clearly suggests the surname is German in origin.
Another clue is that the surname was passed down through generations, unlike Scandinavian surnames which more often added son or daughter to the father's given name (Johnson, Larsen, Olesdatter, etc.) and, therefore, could change with each new generation.
The distribution of available records clearly suggests the surname is German in origin.
Another clue is that the surname was passed down through generations, unlike Scandinavian surnames which more often added son or daughter to the father's given name (Johnson, Larsen, Olesdatter, etc.) and, therefore, could change with each new generation.