Hi All,
I've hit a road block in my family tree research so any advice on a starting point would be greatly appreciated.
So far this is what i know - My ancestor Lorenzo Lapedota marries in Bari 1884 - has his first child 1897 in Egypt (and another 2x after that)
Lorenzo Lapedota also has a brother Nicola Lapedota who marries in 1891 overseas and his first child is born that same year in Egypt.
Lorenzo Lapedota's family stay in Egypt until the mid 1950's where they then move and immigrate to Australia.
I'm assuming they leave Bari in the mid 1880's but how do I confirm this? Naples have passport records from 1888 onwards but nothing that helps.
Also, how do I find birth/death certs of Italians that are born in Egypt?
Last issue for me is I know my direct ancestors moved to Australia but if another Lapedota relative returned to Italy then how would I track that information down?
Thx
Passanger records surname Lapedota, Scilio in Egypt
Re: Passanger records surname Lapedota, Scilio in Egypt
When the son of an Italian citizen was born abroad, transcription of his birth was usually requested at the Comune of previous residence. In the case of Egypt, I've found a lot of cases that birth was declared at Italian consulate or embassy, and was then reported to the town of origin, and transcribed it its registers.
So, if you are sure Lorenzo was formerly from Bari (the city, not the province), you should look in the registers of Bari of 1897 and following.
So, if you are sure Lorenzo was formerly from Bari (the city, not the province), you should look in the registers of Bari of 1897 and following.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Passanger records surname Lapedota, Scilio in Egypt
Thanks for that Pippo.
With Lorenzo and Nicola, I've found most of their kids birth transcripts - one of the challenges I'm now having is for example Lorenzo's child Giuseppe born in Egypt 1897 - if Giuseppe then had children say in the 1920's - would he let the Italian consulate in Egypt know of his Children's birth or because he was born in Egypt it doesn't get registered in Bari?
With Lorenzo and Nicola, I've found most of their kids birth transcripts - one of the challenges I'm now having is for example Lorenzo's child Giuseppe born in Egypt 1897 - if Giuseppe then had children say in the 1920's - would he let the Italian consulate in Egypt know of his Children's birth or because he was born in Egypt it doesn't get registered in Bari?
Re: Passanger records surname Lapedota, Scilio in Egypt
I’m at a dead end on my family tree, with the last name Lapedota. Also seen several people on different forums at a road block with this last name too. Did Lorenzo have any kids or relatives named Anna Stella?


