Hi everyone,
I’m looking to see if anyone has information around the true meaning of the last name Picano and where this originated from. I have read and heard that Picano means “someone from Pico” (Pico, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy).
Italian: possibly a habitational name for someone from Pico in Frosinone province.
My family comes from Campodimele, Latina, Lazio, Italy, which is nearby Pico but in a different province (Latina).
I have also tried to determine which ancient italic group people from Campodimele originated from and was able to find some more information around the last name Picano which stated it might mean woodpecker or 100 warriors/men that broke off from the ancient tribe (can’t remember at the moment if it was the Sabines) and travelled north east to settle on their own.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Picano
Re: Picano
As the surname is most common in the provinces of Latina, Frosinone and Caserta, as you can see here:
https://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cogno ... ani/PICANO
I think the first one is a good guess.
But it would need an accurate study to know for sure.
https://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cogno ... ani/PICANO
I think the first one is a good guess.
But it would need an accurate study to know for sure.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

