Hi all,
I'm one step away from completing my application. A bit confused on one thing, however.
Since my parents are divorced, I provided a Certificate of Divorce Absolute. The consulate also wants a Certificate of Divorce Judgement NACI and a Copy of Agreement.
Does anyone know what the NACI is and also, why is this all necessary?
Proper Divorce Documents
-
peggymckee
- Elite

- Posts: 264
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00
Re: Proper Divorce Documents
I think you mean "nisi" not "naci".Luca722 wrote:The consulate also wants a Certificate of Divorce Judgement NACI and a Copy of Agreement.
Not knowing what state your parents were divorced in, my answer will be very general. Typically, the parties sign a separation agreement, then get a judgment of divorce (sometimes called decree nisi) and then at a certain point the divorce becomes final. It sound like you presented a document stating that the divorce was final (Certificate of Divorce Absoute). . As for why the Consulate wants the other documents--divorce law is different in Italy and they want to know if the foreign (ie US) divorce conforms to their laws.A decree nisi (non-absolute ruling) is a ruling by a court that does not have any force until such time that a particular condition is met. ...
All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Re: Proper Divorce Documents
Hey Peg,
Thank you for the clarification and explanation! Now I know what to get.
One question though,
"As for why the Consulate wants the other documents--divorce law is different in Italy and they want to know if the foreign (ie US) divorce conforms to their laws"
Can you explain further. What if it doesn't conform?
Thank you for the clarification and explanation! Now I know what to get.
One question though,
"As for why the Consulate wants the other documents--divorce law is different in Italy and they want to know if the foreign (ie US) divorce conforms to their laws"
Can you explain further. What if it doesn't conform?
-
peggymckee
- Elite

- Posts: 264
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00
Re: Proper Divorce Documents
Sorry, but I don't know. Here's a link to the Boston Consulate page where "foreign" divorces are discussed.Luca722 wrote:What if it doesn't conform?
http://www.consboston.esteri.it/Consola ... to_civile/
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Proper Divorce Documents
Ask Sonia Alioto with a no charge e-mail to Italian Law @Comcast.net. Her firm in San Francisco are experts in Italian relaEstate law and consular documents. The website is www.Italianlaw.net. =Peter=
Re: Proper Divorce Documents
I am applying for Citizenship through my Paternal line.
Though I am over 18, my parents got divorced when I was 15. I believe my mother had physical custody while my father had joint custody.
Do you think this is an issue and if so, something they'll check into?
Though I am over 18, my parents got divorced when I was 15. I believe my mother had physical custody while my father had joint custody.
Do you think this is an issue and if so, something they'll check into?
-
peggymckee
- Elite

- Posts: 264
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00
Re: Proper Divorce Documents
I believe that the Consulate is concerned that your parents were married when you were born. I would be surprised if custody came into it. But honestly I don't know. There is a lot about "Divorce Italian Style" that doesn't really make sense to me.Luca722 wrote: my parents got divorced when I was 15.
I know that the Consulates aren't exactly forthcoming--but try to find out what they are looking for before you give them the documents. And if you do find out--please post it here. It helps others! All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Re: Proper Divorce Documents
Great suggestion! I would like to know their reasons for these documents them before I submit such personal information.
I will be sure to post my findings!
Thanks again!
Luca
I will be sure to post my findings!
Thanks again!
Luca
-
peggymckee
- Elite

- Posts: 264
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00
Re: Proper Divorce Documents
Dear Luca,
I'm divorced myself--and I don't see why the Consulate needs your parents' separatation agreement. And that's the document that has all kinds of personal and financial information in it--that has nothing to do with eligibility of Italian citizenship. The decree nisi and decree absolute are another matter--because they establish dates. But the separation agreement is about division of property and custody.
Well, keep us posted. All the best, aPeg.
I'm divorced myself--and I don't see why the Consulate needs your parents' separatation agreement. And that's the document that has all kinds of personal and financial information in it--that has nothing to do with eligibility of Italian citizenship. The decree nisi and decree absolute are another matter--because they establish dates. But the separation agreement is about division of property and custody.
Well, keep us posted. All the best, aPeg.
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
-
peggymckee
- Elite

- Posts: 264
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00
Re: Proper Divorce Documents
Dear Luca,
I'm divorced myself--and I don't see why the Consulate needs your parents' separatation agreement. And that's the document that has all kinds of personal and financial information in it--that has nothing to do with eligibility of Italian citizenship. The decree nisi and decree absolute are another matter--because they establish dates. But the separation agreement is about division of property and custody.
Well, keep us posted. All the best, aPeg.
I'm divorced myself--and I don't see why the Consulate needs your parents' separatation agreement. And that's the document that has all kinds of personal and financial information in it--that has nothing to do with eligibility of Italian citizenship. The decree nisi and decree absolute are another matter--because they establish dates. But the separation agreement is about division of property and custody.
Well, keep us posted. All the best, aPeg.
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
