I have been pursuing gathering all of my documents for applying for dual citizenship through jure sanguinis (Italian-US). I felt I had everything I needed, but I've read some conflicting information on these posts regarding the date when an ancestor was naturalized. Here is my personal info:
My great-grandfather (b 1882) emigrated from Italy in 1907. He had my grandfather in 1924. The great-grandfather was naturalized in 1939. My grandfather never renounced his right to Italian citizenship. The grandfather had my mother in 1946. My mother had me in 1970. So, the chain for me is GGF-->GF-->M-->Me!
I have read conflicting statements in posts where minor children ARE or ARE NOT considered naturalized along with their parent. What I believed to be true was that when a person was naturalized AFTER their child was born, their child was still considered an Italian citizen.
Any advice would be appreciated! Many thanks!
Conflicting requirements re: date of naturalization?
- davidlatour
- Rookie

- Posts: 75
- Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 21:21
Re: Conflicting requirements re: date of naturalization?
I was under the impression that minor children ARE NOT considered naturalized.
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri
-
peggymckee
- Elite

- Posts: 264
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00
Re: Conflicting requirements re: date of naturalization?
Yes, if the child was born in the US (or some other jus soli country) but not otherwise.mfiorenza wrote:when a person was naturalized AFTER their child was born, their child was still considered an Italian citizen.
Here is an example. My father's older brother was born in Italy in 1909. His father, my grandfather, came to the US in 1914, along with my GM and my father's brother. My GF naturalized in 1923. Because my father's brother was not a US citizen by birth and a minor when my GF naturalized, he (my father's brother) was naturalized along with my GF.
In contrast, my father was born in the US in 1916. So he was not naturalized in 1923 (when his father naturalized) because he (my father) was already a US citizen birth.
So in both cases, the naturalization of the parent occured **after** the birth of the child--but my father's brother lost his Italian citizenship whereas my father did not. The difference is where each was born and citizenship conferred thereby.
All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
- JamesBianco
- Staff

- Posts: 879
- Joined: 31 Dec 2004, 00:00
- Location: Westfield, MA.
- Contact:
Re: Conflicting requirements re: date of naturalization?
Peggy is correct, as long as the child was born in the USA before his father/mother was naturalized, then he/she is eligible to become a citizen via Juris Sanguinis. If the child was born in Italy things would be quite different,
It seems to me you have a very strong claim.
Jim
It seems to me you have a very strong claim.
Jim
Re: Conflicting requirements re: date of naturalization?
Ah-hah! That is very interesting! Thank you so much for clearing things up.
My GF was born in the US in 1924. My GGF naturalized in the US in 1939. It would seem, then, that I am on the right track!
The last things I need to accomplish, before making my appointment are the FOIA request, translations, and some straightening out of quite a few name changes! (Fiorenza became France!?) I will post when I get further along!
Again, many thanks!
My GF was born in the US in 1924. My GGF naturalized in the US in 1939. It would seem, then, that I am on the right track!
The last things I need to accomplish, before making my appointment are the FOIA request, translations, and some straightening out of quite a few name changes! (Fiorenza became France!?) I will post when I get further along!
Again, many thanks!
