Records from Caggi/Kaggi, Messina, Italy
- megsateennow
- Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 18:11
Records from Caggi/Kaggi, Messina, Italy
I wrote a couple of weeks ago about trying to help my sister-in-law track down her ancestors. The family came from Caggi or Kaggi, which was destroyed in the 1908 earthquake. My earlier post with responses seems to be gone, but it was suggested that perhaps the family came from Gaggi. I have her mother's original birth record which says Caggi, and have attached an affidavit her grandparents filled out in the U.S. indicating they were born and married in Caggi in Messina and all of the town and its records were destroyed in the earthquake. So I am back to square one about whether any record would be anywhere else about this area. Any help would be most appreciated.
Re: Records from Caggi/Kaggi, Messina, Italy
Hi!
I don't know if you already tried with the Family History Center but it seems they have Microfilms about civil records for Gaggi - Messina:
Place Italy, Messina, Gaggi
References (Use for) Italy, Messina, Kaggi
Topics Italy, Messina, Gaggi - Census
Italy, Messina, Gaggi - Civil registration
Title Registri dello stato civile, 1820-1910
Authors Gaggi (Messina). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)
Note Location
Film
Nati, matrimoni, morti 1820 Nati, morti 1821-1822 Nati, matrimoni, morti 1823-1836, 1838-1846, 1848-1850, 1852-1860 FHL INTL Film
1467018 Items 3-8
Nati, matrimoni, morti 1861-1865 VAULT INTL Film
1467019 Item 1
Nati 1866-1910 Pubblicazioni 1866-1910 Matrimoni 1866-1890 FHL INTL Film
1693559 Items 2-6
Matrimoni 1891-1910 Morti 1866-1910 FHL INTL Film
1726906 Items 1-2
Here is the link to find your nearest center:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp
Laura
I don't know if you already tried with the Family History Center but it seems they have Microfilms about civil records for Gaggi - Messina:
Place Italy, Messina, Gaggi
References (Use for) Italy, Messina, Kaggi
Topics Italy, Messina, Gaggi - Census
Italy, Messina, Gaggi - Civil registration
Title Registri dello stato civile, 1820-1910
Authors Gaggi (Messina). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)
Note Location
Film
Nati, matrimoni, morti 1820 Nati, morti 1821-1822 Nati, matrimoni, morti 1823-1836, 1838-1846, 1848-1850, 1852-1860 FHL INTL Film
1467018 Items 3-8
Nati, matrimoni, morti 1861-1865 VAULT INTL Film
1467019 Item 1
Nati 1866-1910 Pubblicazioni 1866-1910 Matrimoni 1866-1890 FHL INTL Film
1693559 Items 2-6
Matrimoni 1891-1910 Morti 1866-1910 FHL INTL Film
1726906 Items 1-2
Here is the link to find your nearest center:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp
Laura
- megsateennow
- Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 18:11
Re: Records from Caggi/Kaggi, Messina, Italy
Is Gaggi the same place as Caggi/Kaggi? I may sound numb but I just didn't know if Caggi, Kaggi and Gaggi would be used interchangeably. Thanks.
Re: Records from Caggi/Kaggi, Messina, Italy
Yes. it is...
Gaggi (Caggi in siciliano) è un comune di 2.818 abitanti della provincia di Messina. Il nome ufficiale del comune era, fino al 1939, Kaggi.
this is from :
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaggi
Laura
Gaggi (Caggi in siciliano) è un comune di 2.818 abitanti della provincia di Messina. Il nome ufficiale del comune era, fino al 1939, Kaggi.
this is from :
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaggi
Laura
- megsateennow
- Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 18:11
Re: Records from Caggi/Kaggi, Messina, Italy
Thank you, Laura. I'm fairly new here so don't know all the rules, but is there someone here to whom I could e-mail her mom's birth certificate (which is in Italian) (I can't post it here because it says the file is too big). I'd like to know exactly what it says but don't know how to go about getting it translated. Thanks again. Cindy
Re: Records from Caggi/Kaggi, Messina, Italy
No problem Cindy, but as I'm italian and not very able with your language I find difficult to explain to you how to use Imageshack, a free website for photo sharing....
Most of the members here are using that site to share images...
You can see this:
http://e-lore.com/wiki/Using_Imageshack
So you can post your act in this section of the forum :
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... m/f=5.html
and surely you'll find someone happy to help translate it!
Laura
Most of the members here are using that site to share images...
You can see this:
http://e-lore.com/wiki/Using_Imageshack
So you can post your act in this section of the forum :
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... m/f=5.html
and surely you'll find someone happy to help translate it!
Laura
