Could someone please tell me if scarmagno boarders with Austria and is it near Como if it is near Austria would someone put them selfs down as Austrian not Italian on a census in 1891.
Regards Lynne
scarmagno
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: scarmagno
Scarmagno is in the province of Torino, and does not border with Austria...
- Maurizio
- Veteran

- Posts: 160
- Joined: 29 Aug 2002, 00:00
- Location: Canavese, Piemonte, Italia
- Contact:
Re: scarmagno
Hello, Lynne.
I live in the area, and as the other poster correctly stated, there's no way that Scarmagno could have ever been part of Austria.
Also, since I read in another thread you're are researching on a Bessolo family, I can assure you that Bessolo is a surname absolutely typical of the village of Scarmagno, where it's still very common. Moreover, there's a place - a little hamlet administratively depending by the Municipality of Scarmagno - whose name is exactly "Bessolo" (You can easily find it simply typing "Bessolo, Italia" on Googlemaps): that's where all these families originally came from.
Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Maurizio
I live in the area, and as the other poster correctly stated, there's no way that Scarmagno could have ever been part of Austria.
Also, since I read in another thread you're are researching on a Bessolo family, I can assure you that Bessolo is a surname absolutely typical of the village of Scarmagno, where it's still very common. Moreover, there's a place - a little hamlet administratively depending by the Municipality of Scarmagno - whose name is exactly "Bessolo" (You can easily find it simply typing "Bessolo, Italia" on Googlemaps): that's where all these families originally came from.
Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Maurizio
