Searching for Manhattan Ward on 1910 Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mcoccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Searching for Manhattan Ward on 1910 Census

Post by mcoccaro »

Hello everyone.

Does anyone know how to find a ward in Manhattan on the 1910 Census containing the address 31 Marion Rd in NYC?

I read that Marion road no longer exists because Lafayette was carved out of it, but my grandpa lived there according to his marriage certificate (1910).

I am hoping to see if I can find him on the 1910 census so I can see who he may have possibly lived with during his first few years in America - this may be my link to his sister Elena Coccaro (not sure of her married name) who was labeled as his point on contact on his immigration manifest from 1906.

The name is Angelo Francesco Coccaro born. I cannot seem to locate him on the 1910 census.

Any information or insight is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Marni
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Manhattan Ward on 1910 Census

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Any idea when "Lafayette was carved out of it"?

According to this tool (http://stevemorse.org/census/), in 1910 Marion Road was within Ward 14, Enumeration Districts 784,786, 800, and 801.

I searched through all pages of these censuses and although Marion is listed as a boundary on all of them, I could not actually find any Marion Road addresses within the census data. I did however find Lafayette addresses...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

How about some more details regarding Angelo Francesco Coccaro? His year of birth? His wife's name and when in 1910 they married? Did he emigrate to the US or was he born here? If he emigrated, when?

I see at least a few possibles for the 1910 census, but need more info to be able to sort through them.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mcoccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcoccaro »

I walked over to where Marion Street was today, but the Lafayette addresses are all in the 200s.

Angelo Francesco Coccaro
Birth: August 7, 1889
Death: 1965

wife: Maria Giovannina Peduto (Jenny)

They married April 27, 1910 in NYC

Jenny's address on the 1910 census is still with her family on Sullivan Street

Their marriage certificate says: (1910)
Angelo lived 31 Marion St. and was a barber
Jenny lived on Sullivan St.

The key person I am trying to find is whatever happened to his sister Maria Elena Coccaro (b. 1886) I am not sure her married name...the Ellis Island ship manifest: Sicilia (1906) says Angelo and his father Emidio were going to 95 Crosby street to his sister (Emidio's daughter) Elena....it may also ready Cosben Street but I think it is just a typo on the ship's manifest.