I Am Looking For A Town Of Origin In Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Thomas1968

I Am Looking For A Town Of Origin In Sicily

Post by Thomas1968 »

I am looking for information on Angelo Pinto born in 1878 in Sicily....He arrived through Ellis Island in 1893....I am trying to determine his town of origin in Sicily....The ship manifest list only Casalicchio....It is my understand that a few locations in Sicily may be a candidate....The first is in the province of Trapani....The other is in the commune of Cammarata in the province of Agrigento....Your help would be Greatly Appreciated !
VotM
Elite
Elite

Re: I Am Looking For A Town Of Origin In Sicily

Post by VotM »

Thomas1968 wrote:I am looking for information on Angelo Pinto born in 1878 in Sicily....He arrived through Ellis Island in 1893....I am trying to determine his town of origin in Sicily....The ship manifest list only Casalicchio....It is my understand that a few locations in Sicily may be a candidate....The first is in the province of Trapani....The other is in the commune of Cammarata in the province of Agrigento....Your help would be Greatly Appreciated !
There is (was) a municipality in Salerno formerly known as Casalicchio, now known as Casal Velino. The bad news is that while there are records online for this municipality, they only extend from 1894-1912.
https://familysearch.org/search/film/00 ... at=1340116

The commune of Cammarata is also online, but the birth records only go back to 1879
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1946817
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

If there's a bit of good news, it seems that Angelo's parents (Matteo and Anna M.) are also listed on the manifest. Matteo was born ~1851, which opens up some other Cammarata records (1820-1861) for search:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... Cammarata/

No luck here; haven't found a Pinto yet in either set of books (checked 1850 and 1851, and 1879-1882 in the one given earlier). Odds are that Cammarata is not the commune you are interested in.

There are several Pinto's listed in the birth records for Casal Velino. This may be the more likely location..

Is there a draft card (WWI or WWII) for Angelo Pinto? You may find other clues there to his home town.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think Casalicchio Salerno is the right place here some info from Salerno archives military enlistment which goes by birth year Angelo was to young to register but his father wasn't if that was his father
edited
Perhaps some general information would help Where settled wifes name?

PG LINK
http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.benic ... te-di-leva

Nome: Matteo Pinto
Classe: 1851
Comune di nascita: Casalicchio
Full text: Pinto Matteo di Antonio e Monzo Teresa nato il 13\3\1851 a Casalicchio di professione bracciale

Nome: Matteo Antonio Pinto
Classe: 1851
Full text: Pinto Matteo Antonio di Gennaro e Pinto Maria nato il 15\4\1851 a Casalicchio di professione bracciale

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Thomas1968

Post by Thomas1968 »

Thank You for your replies....I am helping a Facebook Friend find information....She insist the family is from Sicily....I have been using Family Search....I didn't notice Angelo's parents names using that source....She said that she didn't remember her Great Grandparents names , but said she had heard them as a child....Angelo's wife who he supposedly married in the United States was Rachell Catherine Lomasco (born 1878 as well , I think .) and her Father was Louis Lomasco born in 1856....There is also a town with Casalicchio in the name in either the city or province of Trapani
michelecrescenzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michelecrescenzo »

Try searching Tomasco instead of Lomasco. One married Angelo Pinto in Philadelphia in 1898: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... &ml_rpos=8
Researching surnames Capaccio and Cerruti in Campagna, Salerno; surnames Crescenzo and Ferullo (unknown locations); surnames Nocito and Torrano in Cosenza; surnames Crescenzo and Pinto in Casalicchio (Casal Velino), Salerno.
Thomas1968

Post by Thomas1968 »

Yes , my friend originally said that her Grandmother's maiden name was Tomasco , but I found her Great Grandfather listed as Louis Lomasco on a 1930 census record , so I thought maybe she had forgotten the maternal last name .
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

I tried to reply earlier, but my message disappeared. So, here is a shorter version. I agree with adelfio. The Casalicchio that Angelo declared in the manifesto is in the province of Salerno, not in Sicily. The suggested places are Bed & Breakfast and the one in Cammarata is a contrada (zone) not a town and Angelo would have used Cammarata as a hometown. Casalicchio was changed early in the 1900s and I know it as Casal Velino, but elders there, at my time, they still called Casalicchio. I believe that there are still Pinto families there as I know there are here in NJ.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

Thomas1968 wrote:Yes , my friend originally said that her Grandmother's maiden name was Tomasco , but I found her Great Grandfather listed as Louis Lomasco on a 1930 census record , so I thought maybe she had forgotten the maternal last name .
Census takers of that era were not always accurate. At that time, the census was taken by someone going from door to door, interviewing those who were home at each house (and sometimes neighbors if no one was home), and writing down what they thought they heard. Then you sometimes have people entering the info into a database who aren't very good with reading cursive script. Combine that with occasional genuinely bad handwriting and a census search can be an adventure!
Thomas1968 wrote:I have been using Family Search....I didn't notice Angelo's parents names using that source.
The names are a bit more apparent from the manifest itself. See lines 65-67
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... cGciOw==/1
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
Thomas1968

Post by Thomas1968 »

Thank You for your continued help....I will have to talk with my friend and see why she links he was from Sicily....Maybe it was her Grandmother who was from Sicily and she is just confused....As I mention above her name was Rachell Catherine (I am not sure how that would translate into Italian ) and the last name is Tomasco or Lomasco....Her Father was named Louis .
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

Thomas1968 wrote:Yes , my friend originally said that her Grandmother's maiden name was Tomasco , but I found her Great Grandfather listed as Louis Lomasco on a 1930 census record , so I thought maybe she had forgotten the maternal last name .
From 1920: name spelled as Tomasco
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1488411
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

Adding to the fun, there is a Luigi Tomaso who is close to the right age (est. birth 1857-1858) and who came over about the right year (1882) who is the closest match I've found so far to Louis Tomasco in the 1920/1930 censuses.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1849782

If Louis (Luigi) did come over around that time, and his daughter came over around 1886-7 as per the censuses, it will make it harder to find the town they came from. Record keeping on manifests prior to 1892 did not always include the town of origin.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I agree with Marty, Casal velino ex Casalicchio is the right birthplace and the same is the birthplace also of Louis Tomasco aka Luigi Tomasco ( italian spelling); here the military record:
Tomasco

Nome: Luigi

Classe: 1856

Full text:

Tomasco Luigi di Domenico e Crescenzo Maria Teresa nato il 8/12/1856 a Casalicchio di professione Bracciale

Luigi TOMASCO born in Casalicchio on 8 Dec 1857 son of Domenico Tomasco and Maria Teresa Crescenzo; farmhand profession....

best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Thomas1968

Post by Thomas1968 »

Thank You !....I will let her know....Your help is Greatly Appreciated !
michelecrescenzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michelecrescenzo »

Also tell your friend that she and I may be related. I have many Crescenzos and Pintos from Casal Velino in my tree, and at least one Tomasco. Is your friend on ancestry.com? If so, she can view my tree.
Researching surnames Capaccio and Cerruti in Campagna, Salerno; surnames Crescenzo and Ferullo (unknown locations); surnames Nocito and Torrano in Cosenza; surnames Crescenzo and Pinto in Casalicchio (Casal Velino), Salerno.