Romano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie

Romano

Post by genealogy »

I tried to obtain a money order from my post office to send to Ponte, Italy for a death record of my great-grandfather. I was told by the post office that Italy can not cash a domestic or international money order, but they can cash an American Express gift check. If this is true, do I make the gift check out to the mayor? If so, what is the name of the mayor in Ponte, Italy? Please advice me.

Thank you
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Romano

Post by Biff83 »

What I would include with your request is an International Reply Coupon (IRC) which will cover the cost of the return postage. IRCs should be available at the main post office in your city. The current cost is $2.

Information on IRCs from the USPS.
http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc3.6.25.htm

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Try this web site for information on the mayor. It may not have his or her name, but you can look up the town of Ponte and then get an address, e-mail and fax number for the Ufficio Civile.

http://www.italia.indettaglio.it/eng
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Check this out too for international check services by Thomas Cook.

http://www.thomascook.ca/ForeignCurrency/index.aspx

This is the Canadian portal for Thomas Cook or you can google it for different international offices.
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by genealogy »

Thank you for the website for international check services. It has been helpful.
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by genealogy »

Biff83,
Also thank you for the website. I did find the Ponte Website with the name of the Mayor.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

From what I remember, money orders were difficult to cash when I was in Italy..and the banks did try and charge me a service fee (even though they aren't supposed to). The smaller towns had the most difficulty with them. I did bring American Express cheques with me which were easier to cash, but I had to go to an American Express office to cash them (in Torino this happened) and they weren't open all the time. No matter which way I tried, I had trouble so the IRC may just be your best bet..if they are familiar with them.

Another option..don't send anything. Ok..its not fool proof but I received a reply without sending anything to two offices. Of course, I may just have gotten lucky. Maybe you should make friends with someone in Italy who needs American stamps for Self Addressed Envelopes and you could exchange postage and you could send a Self Addressed Envelope to Ponte?

Ok..its hard to do, but it is an option.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
lisagooley
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisagooley »

When I sent my first letter to Montesarchio in Sept of 2007 the post office told me they didn't offer IRC service any longer.