searching for gg-grandparents birth place - surname Davide

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

searching for gg-grandparents birth place - surname Davide

Post by jeannierivera »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible or if there are any archives in Napoli to search for my gg-grandfather's military records etc, in order to learn his place of birth to locate birth/marriage certificates.

My gg-grandfather & gg-grandmother believed to have been born in Napoli and emmigrated to the US 1888 -

gg-grandfather name: Cordialino Davide born April 1857
wife: born Rosina Guida - June 1858
child: Gennie, Jenny, Gina (sp?) born 1887
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: searching for gg-grandparents birth place - surname Davi

Post by PeterTimber »

Your grandfather is listed as entering the USA at NYC at age 32 on September 5, 1888 (he was born in 1856) on the ship SS Columbia and destined to 7778 which is NYC. His occupation is listed as Barber. His place of origin is not listed as you prbably know.

Go to www.mangeruca for a form letter in Italian requesting his military records and since you do not know his town of origin you have to write directly to the Archivio di Stato di Napoli attention: Sga Rosaria De Devitus,Piazzetta Grande Archivio, 80138, Napoli, Campania, Italy. But you should perhaps send an e-mail to the directress first asking her if your GGgrandfather's records are housed in the Napoli district since that will let you know if it is Napoli since you suspect both of them were born in that city or province of Napoli.

It would appear that his records might be in any one of three military districts since you are not sure of where he was born in the Campania region. These districts are in Napoli, Caserta and Salerno where records for service after 1870 would normally be requested. =Peter=
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

Thanks so much Peter.

I did email all three Napoli, Salerno and Caserta - Napoli a few different times actually. I might say I am very impressed with how responsive people in Italy are, unlike here (US) imagine emailing governement offices and actually getting a response..ha

Anyways - Salerno does not have him in their data base, and Napoli keeps saying I need know the comune of birth - except that is what I am trying to figure out. No answer from Caserta yet.

I have came across quite a few different spellings of his first name do you think that could be a problem? I have not seen the name in italian yet so I am not sure what it should be... I have seen Cordialino, Cordialivio, Cortialmo, Cordealeno, Cordialisa - do you have any idea what name this could be and spelling...

In addition - on the ship manefast he is listed as Davide Cordealeno instead of Cordealeno Davide - There is no such last name in italy, but Davide, which has always been the surname does exist in Italy and concentrated in Naples so it would make sense.

Also I found my gg-grandmother Rosina Guida on the ship manefeast listed on R. Guida, on that same voyage - she traveled under her maiden name?

All censue reports after in this country she is listed as Russi, Rosa, Rose Davide... I am having trouble locating any other info on her as well.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The surname stems from cordiale and made diminutive to cordialino meaninga cordial or small cordial (a drink preparation or alcoholic drink like saronno). I do not think they would make a distinction between Cordiale and cordialino Davide when researching their archives. Did you enclose a $5.00 in a self addressed envelope when writing to Napoli,l Salerno and Caserta?

Womenin Italy retain their identity and only the children take on the fathers surname. So women traveling in their maiden name is quite in order. =Peter=
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

Something kind of concerning.... if it possible could have been a surname? On the manifest the name is reversed Davide and first name and Cordealeno as surname - but I just assumed that is incorrect since, we have always been Davide as far as I know, death cert, birth certs for Cordialino's son's have been Davide and even sometimes David according to WW1 reg. cards etc.

I am hoping that we are not dealing with a total name change like that... considering Davide is most concentrated in Naples as we were always told that is where gg-gf was born and gg-gm surname Guida also has the highest concentration in italy in naples it stood to reason that my g-father was correct in what he told us...

My correspondence with the provinces were via email so it is possible that I am getting just responses of no and no real search was performed - entirely possible. It won't hurt for me to send a mail request as well, which will be my next step.

My quest here will come to a screaming halt if I cannot locate birth records and even more so if it turns out to be a name change like Davide not being the original name, though I do no think this to be the case...

Maybe I should go about this in another direction? Since I know that Rosina is listed as R. Guida on the manifest maybe if I can find her... but I don't have any other info... no parent's names, sibling anything so I can 't imagine that would be an easy angle either.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The eror is my error in thinking, wrongly that Coirdalino is a surname. Actually your Davide is corrrect but what caught me as a reson why your not getting a response may be the use of E-MAIL. I assumed you had written a form letter (www.mangeruca.com for military records) which I think gets more consideration (my opinion) since the form letter will have more information. I apologize for reversing the name sequence but perhaps we can make lemonade from lemo ns!! =Peter=
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

:D I think I will send off the actual letters even though the emails didn't turn anything up. Ya never know... do you think there is a possibility of a place of birth on the actual death certificate? I am waiting on that... hopefully it will come from NYC in a couple of weeks... rediculous I can get letters back from italy in 3 weeks but NYC copies of certificates 6 weeks... our tax dollars at work..LOL

I recieved responses from Melito di Napoli and Acerra and they didn't find anything asked for il certificato di stato di famiglia - so that two comunes down and a whole bunch to go I figure eventually I will come up with something
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

Not sure of what they are trying to convey here... any help? This is the email I rec'd back from Napoli

"Archivio di Stato di Napoli

jannie.rivera@adelphia.net

Prot. 6044 /28.34.07

Oggetto: Richiesta certificato di nascita e stato di famiglia storico di Cortialivio (?) DAVIDE, nato nel comune di Napoli nel 1857 circa.

In risposta alla sua email del25.08.08, prot. 6022, si comunica che in Italia i certificati ed estratti di Stato Civile sono rilasciati unicamente dal Comune di nascita. Deve inoltrare quindi la richiesta al Comune di Napoli – Servizio Stato Civile, Ufficio Corrispondenza Valori – Via Epomeo II trav. Parco Quadrifoglio 80126 Soccavo – NAPOLI, tel. 081.7958559, email serv-statocivile@comune.napoli.it
Il servizio è gratuito.

Cordiali saluti.

ll Direttore
Dott.ssa Maria Rosaria de Divitiis

MF/rt"

I then send an email to the above address and rec'd this:

"Direzione Generale per gli Archivi
Servizio III

Gentile Sig. Rivera,
n riferimento alla sua richiesta, La preghiamo di specificare la "provincia Abt", di scriverla per esteso poichè non esiste tale sigla in Italia.

Cordiali saluti.

Il Dirigente del Servizio
Dr.ssa Patrizia Ferrara"

???? Are they really beginning to refer these requests to someone in Rome? Or am I completely misunderstanding?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Where does it say Rome? and what does the initials abt mean? (did you use abt for word about?) =pETER=
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

I sure did... OK it looks like I confused myself as well. I wrote back to clarify, ( the abt - yup should have been about) but upon closer examination - LOL - it looks like someone forwarded my request to

Direzione Generale per gli Archivi
Servizio III

and when I looked that up it seems to be in Rome..weird...but I see now that is NOT who the email told me to address my request to. So it looks like I have to send my request to the Soccavo address - ? I think... wow I might need a nap or something LOL