Learning Italian, recomendations

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Learning Italian, recomendations

Post by sigel7 »

Can any one vouch for any good program for learning Italian? Its time to learn and teach the kiddo's as well. Darn my father and grandparents for feeling it wasnt necessary to teach us kids.

Thanks

Catherine
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Learning Italian, recomendations

Post by johnnyonthespot »

sigel7 wrote:Can any one vouch for any good program for learning Italian? Its time to learn and teach the kiddo's as well. Darn my father and grandparents for feeling it wasnt necessary to teach us kids.

Thanks

Catherine
Do you have a spare room in your home? If so, offer free (or greatly reduced) boarding to a native-Italian university student or recent immigrant trying to get settled in the USA.

If that isn't practical, there is always Rosetta Stone. Expensive, but effective. Still, the only way to learn conversational Italian is to converse regularly with a native speaker...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Motivation to learn is the driving force behind learning a language. The easy no pain method like Rosetta Stone can only be effective if your motivation will permit memorization and implementing what you learn by daily verbal exchange and reading Italian newspapers on line.

I learned Italian language in the tried and true classical method which is learning grammar, memorizing verb endings, tenses etc as evidenced in the Free internet Italian grammar at www.mmdtkw.org/ItalGram.html which look formidable but easily absorbed as you get into the language learning process.

The only fly in the ointment is that you will not be able to engage in other than "tourist " italian until you reach the point where the learned grammar will allow you to form any sentence in the correct tense merely byacquiring vocabulary and slowly speak by recalling the verbs and their ending, articles, adjectives and adverbs, pronouns and the bane of my existence the subjunctive.

But the Italian you will learn will lack the currrent everyday usage an Italian from Italy will speak but he /she would clearly understand you but he/she would have to speak slowly to you (at first). Just thought these few observations will be of help to you. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I located an interesting website that you can dip your toes. It looks promising for a start and will test your mettle for learning the language.

Go to www.cyberitalian.com/en/html/explain_trial.html =Peter=
~Peter~
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Send me your private email address and I will send you a couple of pages I prepared to help other English speaking students learn the correct pronunciation.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Catherine I believe that by going to Google.com and inserting the accepted title for seeking foreign echange students by nationality is the best way for you to go.
The title to use is ITALIAN FOREIGN EXCHANGE STUDENTS and this will cover the entire gamut of student and language exchange. I believe that your linguistic needs and desires are best met in this manner. =Peter=
~Peter~
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I never thought of that Peter.....interesting idea.....
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

I have decided that since my daughter is homeschooled and has been taking latin, which crashed, we will be replacing it with Italian. I saw that Rosetta Stone has a homeschool version for years 1-3. If the tax refund ever gets here, we will get that for the family. If we do get an exchange student, we can practice with him/her.

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni