National Archives

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

National Archives

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

For anyone trying to obtain naturalization records about ancestors thru the National Archives facilities, my understanding is all facilities are closed and activities are halted due to the Federal Government Shutdown. I called the National Archives office in New York City and got a recording about their office closing. Also there is a posting about this when you go onto the National Archives website. Does anyone know if there is another way to obtain naturalization records like declaration of intents or petitions? :(
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: National Archives

Post by erudita74 »

gentilejoy@yahoo.com wrote:For anyone trying to obtain naturalization records about ancestors thru the National Archives facilities, my understanding is all facilities are closed and activities are halted due to the Federal Government Shutdown. I called the National Archives office in New York City and got a recording about their office closing. Also there is a posting about this when you go onto the National Archives website. Does anyone know if there is another way to obtain naturalization records like declaration of intents or petitions? :(

The USCIS (the former INS) or immigration service is another place to get post 1906 naturalization documents. Unfortunately, this is also a govt agency and affected by the shutdown. Had your ancestor naturalized in a county court, then you could have possibly gone directly to that county for the paperwork. So, for example, my husband's one grandmother naturalized in Bronx county, and I was able to get her naturalization papers from the county clerk there. But your Luigi doesn't come up in the index for that county, and it's unlikely that he naturalized there, since he was a Manhattan resident at the time. So you're going to have wait it out, I'm sorry to say.

Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Re: National Archives

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

Hi Erudita- yes, seems like I will need to wait for the National Archives to re-open for me to resume the search for Luigi's record. Joy.